NOT FINISHING

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

IAM RAISING CHAROLAIS CATTLE WITH THE INTENT TO RAISE SHOW QUALITY STOCK FOR LOCAL FAIRS. THE TROUBLE IM HAVING IS THE STEERS IM BUYING ARE MAY JUNE CALVES, AND THESE CALVES ARE NOT GETTING FINISHED FOR OUR SEPT. FAIR THE FOLLOWING YEAR. IF I BUY OLDER STEERS, (FEB-APRIL) CALVES, THEY GET TO BIG BY THE TIME THEY ARE FINISHED. I BUY THE CALVES IN LATE OCT. TO MID NOV. AND SLOWLY START THEM ON FULL FEED, AND BY MID DEC. THEY ARE ON FULL FEED. I FEED THEM ONCE A DAY AND KEEP FEED IN FRONT OF THEM THE ENTIRE TIME UP TO THE FAIR IN SEPT. RIGHT NOW IM FEEDING 500# CRIMPED CORN, 50# BEEF SUPP 36%, 50# COTTONSEED HULLS. LAST YEAR I TRIED TO ADD 50# OF OATS BUT NEVER SAW A DIFFERENCE. ANY HELP WOULD BE A BIG APPRECIATION.
<br>
<br><hr size=4 width=75%><p>

[email protected]

You will have to change genetics. The calves you are feeding don't have the ability to finish at 15 months at the right weight. Your feeding program is more than adequate, but the lack of results show the genetics to be suspect.<p>Jason Trowbridge<br>Southern Angus Farms<br>Alberta Canada
<br>

[email protected]

(User Above)":2axrih5q said:
: You will have to change genetics. The calves you are feeding don't have the ability to finish at 15 months at the right weight. Your feeding program is more than adequate, but the lack of results show the genetics to be suspect.<p>: Jason Trowbridge<br>: Southern Angus Farms<br>: Alberta Canada<p>The calves Im buying are from different herds from four different states. They all have been from bloodlines. Another view on this is the fact that I run these calves on a dry lot. Perhaps they are not getting enough roughage?
<br>

[email protected]

Latest posts