Not even close to Knersie - update again

Help Support CattleToday:

mitch2

Reaction score
but this is my one and only herf and I love her. She is 4 years old this past spring and has had 3 calves.

Michele

I don't know, she looks pretty good from what I can see. :)

Have a couple of more photos of her? The reason I ask is because of the nice size of her muscle bulging out and the nice pigment. TY.

Thanks for replies, and compliments. This pic was taken yesterday, so I guess you could say she is 4 yo and 8 months old at this time. This is the only current pic, but if you want more pics I can get some in the coming days. She is functional... and I like everything about her except her legs.

Michele

Heres a pic I found of her taken last month.

Her calf was pulled in Sep 17, that's when we weaned heifer calves and sold at auction this year.

Michele

That is a really good herf cow. Sounds like she has done you good over the few years you have had her.

Thanks guys... like I said, I love her... but she doesn't have very good legs. So far her hooves have stayed decent, which surprises me... she has raised stellar calves, but they have her legs.

Michele

She looks like a functional cow. I have my own ideas, but what is it about her legs that you don't like? I will say that when it comes right down to it, if a cow is within acceptable parameters of phenotype, and does the job every year for a reasonable number of years, she is a good cow regardless of minor flaws.

She's a pretty decent cow, you could nit pick certain things about her, but she's still a good productive cow. Any pictures of her calves? How is the pinz that is in the other post doing? That's my second breed of choice :heart: :lol2:

Am I the only one who has noticed that this cow appears to have an outstanding udder. I am surprised nobody else has said anything.

I think overall she's a very good cow. Her legs don't look that bad to me.

Gelbvieh 5":3kz2tohd said:
Am I the only one who has noticed that this cow appears to have an outstanding udder. I am surprised nobody else has said anything.

I think overall she's a very good cow. Her legs don't look that bad to me.
i noticed it,,,, but as far as it being outstanding...it's tidy .........but does it produce enough? shes nice though

I could not find a pic of her heifer calf this year, but I did find these pics of her bull calf from 2007. In the pic he is 5 1/2 months old. I haven't taken camera to the farm lately due to icky weather... but I will one of these days ! :D

View attachment 1

Michele

What kind of bull do you use? If you use a straight black colored bull it looks as if she carries a dilutor gene.

I like the build of the calf, not fond of the color... we're always happy when we have stocky looking steer calves like this one...

The udder is good, it's out of the way of brush, etc and has no weird shapes, but am used to much bigger bags, but don't like the teats hanging lower than the navel even when it's full.. i find it causes problems for newborns to find them

Latest posts