Not enough milk?

Help Support CattleToday:

cdog

Reaction score
I am currently feeding two calves, twice a day, and they are about 3 weeks old. They REALLY act like they need more. Should I give them more based on their reactions? A little new at this. :?

Welcome to the board. :welcome:

Now I would say go do a search. There is a TON of postings concerning this.

There are some very knowledgable people on here and I bet they will step in.

Are you feeding them anything besides replacer?

How much are you feeding and what are their weights ? Do they have access to fresh water ,hay and calf starter always ?

I'm guessing when I say about 75-100 lbs. One is a little bigger than the other. They have access to water and hay in the barn where I keep them most of the time. I do let them out to get to some grass. I do not have any calf starter though.

I have two bottle babies and the twin that we pulled is 5 weeks sat. and the holstein is 3 weeks and they are both eating calf starter. they only get two bottles a day even though they would like more. mine can go out in the lot for sunshine or stay in the barn. they have access to hay and water all the time. I've noticed the more grain they are eating the less they are wanting there evening bottle. I will feed them a bottle at least until they are 8 weeks old and then probably alittle longer.

cdog":zjplemkj said:
I'm guessing when I say about 75-100 lbs. One is a little bigger than the other. They have access to water and hay in the barn where I keep them most of the time. I do let them out to get to some grass. I do not have any calf starter though.

The 75 lb can have 3-4 pints twice a day and the 100 should get 4 pints at least twice a day. Get calf starter for them asap, I like to use a 18% calf starter ration and always always lets them have access to hay and water . I would just give them free choice access to the calf starter hay and water.

In a few weeks add another pint to their feed of milk and again 2 weeks or so up until they are drinking 6 pints of milk twice a day..If you do not get them on grain soon you will be bottle feeding them until they are 6 or7 months old just like a cow would or you will end up with runty pot bellied ugly calves.

make sure you have a good milk replacer with at least 20% fat, have seen some almost starve on some cheaper replacers & yes get them some grain

jerry27150":2pt92id3 said:
make sure you have a good milk replacer with at least 20% fat, have seen some almost starve on some cheaper replacers & yes get them some grain
20% fat and 20% protein from all milk products. NO SOY

Latest posts