NOT BIASED! What's the weight, frame, ect of your Ideal Cow?

Help Support CattleToday:

blackcowz

Reaction score
Seriously, what is the frame, weight, breed, color and such of yer ideal cow? Pics welcome. Just wanna see what others raise and what they think is "perfection", per say. My favorite? Black WF, Angus/Hereford cross, frame 3, 1200 pounds. Lotta body, easy fleshing, maternal oriented and very efficient. Needless to say, as my ideal cow, I ain't there yet so I ain't got no pics. :cowboy:

Jovid":2j9r9ncw said:
Frame 3 and 1,200 lbs :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
Yes sir. Never seen one? Got's a 4 frame that weighs 1300 or a little more. 1200lbs. for a 3 frame is certainly plausible. They just got be easy fleshin', easy keepin', thick, and fat. All admirable traits, IMO.

blackcowz":26etny2j said:
Seriously, what is the frame, weight, breed, color and such of yer ideal cow? Pics welcome. Just wanna see what others raise and what they think is "perfection", per say. My favorite? Black WF, Angus/Hereford cross, frame 3, 1200 pounds. Lotta body, easy fleshing, maternal oriented and very efficient. Needless to say, as my ideal cow, I ain't there yet so I ain't got no pics. :cowboy:
can she walk on her own, are do she roll every where she goes

blackcowz":1ohazrwq said:
Jovid":1ohazrwq said:
Yes sir. Never seen one? Got's a 4 frame that weighs 1300 or a little more. 1200lbs. for a 3 frame is certainly plausible. They just got be easy fleshin', easy keepin', thick, and fat. All admirable traits, IMO.

I think you'll sell your calves alot easier (and probably for better money) if your cows were frame 4.5-5.5 1200-1350lb cows. If you stick to the middle of the road you are less likely to end up in the ditch.

Production traits needs to be in balance to get the optimum out, I know your goal is achievable, not sure its that desireable. Go talk to a few feedlot buyers and other people who market their beef in other various ways including the grassfed niche markets before setting your plans in stone.

Would sure enough be a wide load, Would have watch her about getting high centered. I think Knersie is right about staying in the middle of the road.

alacattleman":3cphff8e said:
blackcowz":3cphff8e said:
can she walk on her own, are do she roll every where she goes

:lol2:

Red Bull Breeder":25zkl0in said:
Would sure enough be a wide load, Would have watch her about getting high centered. I think Knersie is right about staying in the middle of the road.
would look like a toad.. calf would have too lay on a creeper too nurse

KNERSIE":3c8bf0p1 said:
blackcowz":3c8bf0p1 said:
Jovid":3c8bf0p1 said:

I think you'll sell your calves alot easier (and probably for better money) if your cows were frame 4.5-5.5 1200-1350lb cows. If you stick to the middle of the road you are less likely to end up in the ditch.

Production traits needs to be in balance to get the optimum out, I know your goal is achievable, not sure its that desireable. Go talk to a few feedlot buyers and other people who market their beef in other various ways including the grassfed niche markets before setting your plans in stone.

:nod:

At what body condition score are these "ideal" cows? Way back when frame scores came out in the 80's, I was always taught a rule of thumb was that frame score + 7 X 100 = mature weight at a BCS of 5.

Kit's Kool aid sure tastes good to some folks.I don't think you know what your ideal cow is yet.I don't think you or I will ever find that cow,but we may get alot closer as our herds progress and we find out what works best for us and why and how.

Is it the easy fleshing cow that makes you the most money or is it the cow that brings you the most lbs of calf and breds back on the least amount of feed?

Can you get your ideal cow to recreate herself or is she going to be the result of mateing two inbreed lines together to create the "super cow"?

To answer your ? my favorite type of cow would most likely be 4-5.5 frame wise,wean 60% of her wieght,and breed back in a 45 day breeding season.She also may not stay hog fat year a round but lose some condition while raiseing her calf,but gain it back efficiently in the fall and early winter.

My apologies, but I did not ask for my ideal cow to be run into the ground or heavily criticized. I said that this thread would not be biased. A 1200lb. 3 frame cow ain't no midget and she's perfect size for surviving out here. I like 'em how they looked back in '49 and the early '50's. Many think I ought to get back in the middle of the road, but a 3 or 4 framer IS NOT small. 5 frame is bordering too big for me. A thick little tank looks just right to me. I respect all the opinions out there, but Kit's, my dad's, and other experienced people's ideas ought to be taken into consideration as well. That type and size cow works for me where I am at. I didn't force her on anyone else. I'm sorry I started another war. Maternal genetics are my goal. Also, I feed out and butcher most of my own calves. No complaints from the consumer. I start selling 500 steers a years to a big feedlot, I'd probly adjust my thinkin'. Right now, I've got a good thing going. Sorry for ranting.

alacattleman":24uhd0ez said:
blackcowz":24uhd0ez said:
alacattleman":24uhd0ez said:
this is one of my effcient cow's
There's a difference between giving good advice like KNERSIE and taking things too far and being a pain. :cowboy:
really you can get both on here ... just joking lighten up

Yes sir, but taking a guys cattle and running them into the ground just cause ya don't like isn't exactly something real funny IMO. Even guys who don't my cattle don't make fun of them. They use facts to back their kind up and reason with me as to where mine could be better.

Yes sir, but taking a guys cattle and running them into the ground just cause ya don't like isn't exactly something real funny IMO. Even guys who don't my cattle don't make fun of them. They use facts to back their kind up and reason with me as to where mine could be better.[/quote]..................... i thought you said you didnt have any yet. i dont think a cow needs too be rollie pollie to be effcient but that my opinion im leaving it at that

blackcowz":2ergzz60 said:
alacattleman":2ergzz60 said:
i thought you said you didnt have any yet.
One or two calving seasons away from it. However, to meet opinion with opinion, the can't be both big and efficient out here. Roly poly is good, IMHO.
not talking bigger,,you can go to extremes in both directions.. i bet you can get away with a little larger frame where you'r at, then you let on. ive seen pictures of your place...your following another mans philosophy not what might work better for you.

Of my place? Was the grass 2 inches tall or 5 inches tall? Sure, I could get away with a little more frame. Maybe. I don't really need to and I don't want to. Personal preference.

Latest posts