Not as bad as I thought......

Help Support CattleToday:

hillsdown

Reaction score
'Till I looked closer... :shock:
I was going through paper work for year end and came across an old sales receipt. We sold 18 commercial calves in Dec. '06,,average weight was 624 lbs. We got an average 104.50c for them . And I thought, hey that is not bad, we did much better this year so things must be looking up ,,yippee.. :banana:

Then I looked closer it was HEIFERS that were sold in '06..Now you are lucky if you get 70.0c for them at any weight :( ..

Well, anyways I was feeling pretty good for a few seconds.. :lol:

Well lets hope we don't have to say this year's receipt was good next year..

Can anyone remember what the price of a nice 500lb steer was about 15 years ago? wasn't it up in the $1.50 CDN area?we might have had a low dollar back then which helps too..
It was before BSE reared it's head in the UK

From my journal Dec.1, 1999: "Sold 47 steer calves at Innisfail Auction. Average weight after 3% pencil shrink 657 lb. Average price $129.85 cwt or $853.11 each. Very pleased with that price."
Same journal: Dec. 5, 1999: "Bought 1750 bu of Metcalf barley 51 lb. from Bob $2.15/ bu."
Ah...the good old days!

I sold some heifers earlier summer for $108 cwt. I thought I'd hang on to the rest since the heavy's was where the money was at. Well slap me silly, I should have sold them all that day cause with the added weight they will now only bring about $60 head less than they did then. Such is my life and decision making skills.

i doubt we will see good calf prices till the feedlots get empty.an the the feed prices stablelize.but always remember things could be alot worse than they really are.

Jogeephus":2pmm43lf said:
I sold some heifers earlier summer for $108 cwt. I thought I'd hang on to the rest since the heavy's was where the money was at. Well slap me silly, I should have sold them all that day cause with the added weight they will now only bring about $60 head less than they did then. Such is my life and decision making skills.

That happened to alot of us this year. I believe it is still a good way to operate in the long run. ;-)