not all black

Help Support CattleToday:

highvoltagecattleco":3rpm5k1w said:
I cant believe no one asked the following, "Who in their right mind would use $50 semen on a black baldy???" The red calf is interesting using Bushwacker on what should be a terminal cow is the unbelievable part. :wave:

This is one thing about these boards I don't understand. I've not been here long, but I'm surprised at the folks who first assume people are idiots instead of asking questions. It doesn't just happen to me, but happens quite routinely. I am a minister by trade so I guess this form of abuse person to person shouldn't surprise me any more, but it still does.

First, I didn't pay $50, I paid $20. I've had the semen for quite some time. I realize he's worth $50 now so maybe that's a mute point. Bushwacker isn't part of what I'm trying to do with my registered stock.

Second, this particular baldy is not a "terminal" cow for me - perhaps she would be to others. I have many terminal cows and don't necessarily even AI them. This cow consistently throws heifers that have become outstanding terminal cows. I have heifers from her out of simi and other angus bulls. For me, even $50 was a small investment to produce what will hopefully become an outstanding terminal cow.

As many many many people on this board would contest, not all breeding stock needs to be full blooded or registered or black :D (even though that's half my business).

My decision making process may not be the one you'd have used but I was indeed "in" my mind and not "out of it" when when I made the decision.

highvoltagecattleco":2030lym8 said:
I cant believe no one asked the following, "Who in their right mind would use $50 semen on a black baldy???" The red calf is interesting using Bushwacker on what should be a terminal cow is the unbelievable part. :wave:

In my case its better to use $50 semen to breed ANY every cow on the place rather than purchase and maintain expensive bulls. Plus I don't have to put up with the nuisance of a darn bull period :!: :!: :!:

highvoltagecattleco":10ab1wyy said:

I think I have a cane of Bushwacker still I'll sell it to you for $400.00

Maybe I'm out of my mind. Having both commercial and seed stock. I cant fathom using Bushwacker on a mutt cow. My opinion, Bushwacker is one of the great angus bulls. Angus 9259 you put your thoughts and ideas into a public forum. When someone disagrees or has other ideas. It is not an assault on you. I wish you and your cattle good health. :banana:

highvoltagecattleco":kl735mnx said:
Maybe I'm out of my mind. Having both commercial and seed stock. I cant fathom using Bushwacker on a mutt cow. My opinion, Bushwacker is one of the great angus bulls. Angus 9259 you put your thoughts and ideas into a public forum. When someone disagrees or has other ideas. It is not an assault on you. I wish you and your cattle good health. :banana:

You know, just because we are in the business of commercial cattle, doesn't meant that our cattle are "mutts". A lot of them are well planned crosses. If I want to use a high dollar bull on a crossbred cow, I probably have some good reasons. If he can improve your Purebred cows, why not use him to improve my commercials. I thought Angus 9259 explained it well. He has a good cow, he used the bull on her in hopes of getting a great replacement heifer. I don't think $50 is a waste on a top end cow, regardless of whether she is purebred or commercial.

randiliana":2qc5u72k said:
highvoltagecattleco":2qc5u72k said:

You know, just because we are in the business of commercial cattle, doesn't meant that our cattle are "mutts". A lot of them are well planned crosses. If I want to use a high dollar bull on a crossbred cow, I probably have some good reasons. If he can improve your Purebred cows, why not use him to improve my commercials. I thought Angus 9259 explained it well. He has a good cow, he used the bull on her in hopes of getting a great replacement heifer. I don't think $50 is a waste on a top end cow, regardless of whether she is purebred or commercial.
:tiphat: thank ye

angus9259>it is a waste of time to debate an expert (in their own opinion) or to reveal too much about the inner workings of
your operation. Do what has proven successful for you and apply the Davy Crockett farewell address to the Nay
Sayers and accusers. In an extreme situation you might consider having Warren handle the heavy lifting, although
he may charge mileage for tooth removal as he seems to stay busy in his own community.
There is nothing wrong with good regardless of color. Here's to a profitable year.. LVR

hvcattleco--

If a breeder was planning a three-way crossbreeding protocol of Simangus, Hereford, and it was next in line to use an Angus bull in the rotation, I would think that a mating with Bushwacker would be a reasonable Terminal option. Optimal genetics in ANY kind of breeding selections demand that one use the BEST semen available. $50 semen is not the BEST Angus semen, but Bushwacker is an excellent choice.

. . . .and that calf is NOT a result of a diluter gene.

DOC HARRIS
Man, old thread, I sure do miss Doc Harris.

Latest posts