Not a good time to be a tech worker.

Help Support CattleToday:

That holds true for lots of different sectors. Full time permanent jobs are fewer and fewer across the board. There are lots of different reasons for it, ranging from employer being able to get work done with [edit=without] paying full time benefits to lower taxes, as well as the nationwide move from manufacturing to service.

Last edited:
Unfortunately a side effect of raising rates to fight inflation is often times a rise in unemployment. The tech workers could just be the canary in the coal mine.

Elon is playing a very dangerous game. I understand his reasoning for wanting only the best Type-A tech personnel-programmers at Twitter for 60 to 80 hours a week to institute his new ideas quickly....but there is a work/life balance...especially around the holidays, end of year. I'm going to enjoy watching what happens...success or failure...either one, doesn't matter to me. I imagine if he succeeds it will due to the fact his personality, direction and motivation brought others on-board...if he alienates people his company might be one of his biggest money-drain follies.

In my opinion, Elon is playing it (twitter clean-up) like an aggressive-motivated 32 year old would, demanding more hours, no consideration to on-boarding (carrying the sink drain pic)....I think he'd be better off playing it as a 52 year old...a bit more sensitive to the human factors, showing them clearly the new direction, on-boarding firmly while offering them a piece of the dollar pie in extra bonuses if the new twitter vision materializes.

All the laid off tech workers and one's that walked (from any company)...if they are worth a damn...there will be a lot more new innovation, new start-ups happening. If they were just relaxing and coasting...working just enough to get by...those tech workers will be unemployed for a longer time and will suffer the brunt of being laid off or walking out the door (with regrets).

Elon is playing a very dangerous game. I understand his reasoning for wanting only the best Type-A tech personnel-programmers at Twitter for 60 to 80 hours a week to institute his new ideas quickly....but there is a work/life balance...especially around the holidays, end of year. I'm going to enjoy watching what happens...success or failure...either one, doesn't matter to me. I imagine if he succeeds it will due to the fact his personality, direction and motivation brought others on-board...if he alienates people his company might be one of his biggest money-drain follies.

In my opinion, Elon is playing it (twitter clean-up) like an aggressive-motivated 32 year old would, demanding more hours, no consideration to on-boarding (carrying the sink drain pic)....I think he'd be better off playing it as a 52 year old...a bit more sensitive to the human factors, showing them clearly the new direction, on-boarding firmly while offering them a piece of the dollar pie in extra bonuses if the new twitter vision materializes.

All the laid off tech workers and one's that walked (from any company)...if they are worth a damn...there will be a lot more new innovation, new start-ups happening. If they were just relaxing and coasting...working just enough to get by...those tech workers will be unemployed for a longer time and will suffer the brunt of being laid off or walking out the door (with regrets).
Ironically, when you treat employees like Musk just did, the good ones are the ones that leave. They have opportunities elsewhere. Pretty much every large company has openings for software engineers and developers, and they aren't going to be making those kinds of demands of their employees.

Running a site like Twitter looks a lot easier from the outside. Elon is learning that the hard way.

Or those employees will make the mistake that many before them have. Believing they can't be replaced.

C'mon. It's twitter. If it goes down, the world will little care nor long remember it was ever even here.

One side is just peeved off that he reinstated certain accounts.

Last edited:
I guess Elon is a brilliant guy. But he paid $44 billion for a company that was losing $4 million per day. Half (and now more) of the employees deemed to not be worth keeping and apparently a big percentage of fake accounts and then advertisers walking away. Wonder if he has a plan? $44 billion won't go as far as it used to, but that ain't pocket change.

When I entered the engineering workforce, I remember the signs "The beatings will continue until the morale improves". Wonder how long that will take.

You have to get the pigs out of the water before it will clear. He may lose some smart people, but there is always some smart upstart to take their place.

The last few years have seen a lot of diversity hires and DEI come to tech. There are some who are noting that some of the layoffs are hitting the non technical employees. https://12ft.io/proxy?q=https://for...-layoffs-human-resources-diversity-dei-teams/

Its a completely opposite the world to the independent and libertarian world of tech circa 1990s that I remember from my youth. What remains the same is easy FED money and a world of fraudulent marketing and accounting. This may also be disappearing as we see with the crypto world.

I'm going to keep my opinions to myself on how to run and build a multi-billion dollar company until I'm any where in the vicinity.

I will speculate he is weeding out those that want to be there vs those that do not... no matter the talent. I'll take ... want to be there... over talent any day. Plus, if he says he is hiring, he will have all the talent he wants banging at the door again.

Latest posts