Not a good start to calving season

Help Support CattleToday:

Ky cowboy

Reaction score

Found this, this afternoon. Not the start I was looking for. Should have started calving today according to bull turn out and gestation calender. Out of a 2nd calf heifers, I think next week I'm selling all of the replacement heifers I kept last fall and going to try and buy some bred heifers or heavy bred cows. Not real impressed with them

No. Only thing I've done last summer is work and that was back in the fall. Plenty of hay little grain and on mineral. I don't know what would have caused it. Thought bout having a vet look at it. But they're all closed till monday. Hope it's a single case

It hasn't gotten over 30 since so hope it'll be fine. Forgot it in the back of the truck. Took wife on date last night, pulled in to the restaurant, got out and I started laughing she wanted to know what was so funny I said there's still a dead calf in the bed of my truck. She didn't laugh

that one still had to gestate for quite a while longer.. I'd guess 6 weeks? She was going to be pretty late anyhow if this was supposed to be the start of calving..
Mine slipped the calf 3 weeks early and it was FAR more developed

I figured she was still 6-8 weeks out. And she along with a bunch of yearling heifers I kept back are going to town. They didn't grow out like I was wanting.

Sorry to hear that.
Would guess around 8 weeks early. Had one looking very similar last year.
Had aborted twins ~6-7weeks early recently and those looked much bigger and more developed.

Latest posts