Not a good saturday

Help Support CattleToday:

Calman

Reaction score
I was moving some dirt building a road bed with the tractor. I had moved dirt for about six hours on friday and started again saturday.I had worked about two hours and had a bucket load of dirt up about ten feet off the ground and the left rear wheel fell off the tractor. Now mind you just moving around moving dirt I had not a clue the wheel was even loose.Never felt any different until it happend.I had just drove forward got a bucket full and backed about ten foot straight back and it flipped on it's side.Threw me against the side of the cab and bruised arm and ribs.Not to mention scared the peewadin out of me.
However the boxblade on the back and the bucket kept it from going completely on it's side.
The tractor is a New Holland TD95D and has right at 400hrs on it. Now I'm wondering if they didn't tighten the lug bolts,or did they work loose. I checked the right rear and they loose also.The wheel did not rattle or clunk before it came off.
I guess from now on I'll have to check lug bolts before driving it. :mad: :mad:
This same tractor is going on the third engine on 400hrs.

Cal

Good thing it had a cab on it. Lucky it didn't go completely over with the bucket that high in the air.

I'd trade that tractor off if I were you, seems like it's jinxed.

I used to operate heavy construction equipment in the army. One of the things they drilled into us was to keep the bucket down as much as possible. Especially when turning. For the most part the only time the bucket was in the air was when we were dumping the load in the dump truck or loading something on the trailer. I know there are exceptions to the rule and this is not a dig at calman at all. I just saw an oppertunity to express my view with this topic. I see it all the time. People backing and turning with the bucket way up in the air. Very very dangerous. If possible back up. Lower the bucket then make your turn. When you get there, come to a stop and raise your bucket and unload. Repeat. This is the second accident in a short amount of time on the boards related to the bucket being way up in the air. I'll jump down off my high horse now and hope atleast someone takes this advice. Safety first.

Walt

Txwalt":ufanxr1v said:
I used to operate heavy construction equipment in the army. One of the things they drilled into us was to keep the bucket down as much as possible. Especially when turning. For the most part the only time the bucket was in the air was when we were dumping the load in the dump truck or loading something on the trailer. I know there are exceptions to the rule and this is not a dig at calman at all. I just saw an oppertunity to express my view with this topic. I see it all the time. People backing and turning with the bucket way up in the air. Very very dangerous. If possible back up. Lower the bucket then make your turn. When you get there, come to a stop and raise your bucket and unload. Repeat. This is the second accident in a short amount of time on the boards related to the bucket being way up in the air. I'll jump down off my high horse now and hope atleast someone takes this advice. Safety first.

Walt

You are 100% right Walt.But if you re-read you will see that I only backed about ten ft.and didn't have time to let the bucket down before the wheel fell off.I can tell you from experience about moving with the bucket or loader up.I turned a 450 Case crawler over back in the 60's loading logs on a truck.Was topping the last log with the loader about 13ft in the air. Didn't have a cab then either.It was an experience.
This time I was on level ground and had not even turned the wheels yet.

Cal

Calman":228kbiwa said:
Txwalt":228kbiwa said:

Walt

You are 100% right Walt.But if you re-read you will see that I only backed about ten ft.and didn't have time to let the bucket down before the wheel fell off.I can tell you from experience about moving with the bucket or loader up.I turned a 450 Case crawler over back in the 60's loading logs on a truck.Was topping the last log with the loader about 13ft in the air. Didn't have a cab then either.It was an experience.
This time I was on level ground and had not even turned the wheels yet.

Cal

I understand. We can't account for freak accidents. I appreciate you sharing with us also. Hopefully just this simple thread will save some injury someday. I happened to have some formal training operating equipment. I just wanted to share some of that training. I expect a lot of people learned from OJT or their parents that learned from OJT.

Walt

that stinks. Hope you get it all fixed up and it stays that way. Glad you weren't hurt

Glad your ok.

Had the lugs ever been checked? All new equipment states to check it at 50 hours or so. Trucks usually in first 500 miles. Or to recheck them after a tire change.

Glad you're ok Cal. Seems from time to time a wheel will loosen for no apparent reason, just one of them things I reckon, we've all been there .

Larry

On the side of the tractor does it say something like hecho en Mexico? If it does, get rid of it. Won't be nothing but trouble.

Glad you are OK.

I usally check out the tractor before using it,but don't check out lug bolts.Guess I'll have to carry a set of tools in it and go over it (every bolt and nut) before I use it.
A friend of mine has a case tractor identical to this New Holland only his has a different number than TD95D,and his is painted red. I told him to check the wheel studs,and sure enough all his were loose.
I haven't been able to find out what company makes these tractors.But they are made by the same company and sold to case and new holland.Perhaps some of yall may have info on where and who made these things.
I'm going to pull and clean every wheel stud and torque them back using lock tight.And you can bet from now on I'll be checking them now and then.

Thanks all for your concern.As it turned out just made these old bones ache from being slammed against the side of the cab.
I might add yesterday morning(Monday)we had a down pour with flash flood warnings and the tractor was down in a hole I'd dug which was about five foot deep.I went to check on it about 4am and it was setting in about 2ft of water and still pouring in. I managed to drive it out of the hole with 3 wheels and rain pouring down to where I couldnt see where I was going and dark ass a coal miners a$$.Now that was scarey after previous experience.The wheel was still under water Monday evening.

Sorry yall for such along story but thought I'd share just some of the hazard jobs we all go through.
And don't draw hazard duty pay. :lol: :lol:

Cal

Sorry for your luck. Best I remember they're made by Fiat. When I was pricing them the size I looked at, the N.H. was made in Italy & the Case in Turkey. Same tractors just different colored skin.

Make sure you check them with about a 6' long piece of pipe attached to that tool. They're not tight till you hear them squeak.

Calman":3h93d3kg said:
Thanks all for your concern.As it turned out just made these old bones ache from being slammed against the side of the cab.
I might add yesterday morning(Monday)we had a down pour with flash flood warnings and the tractor was down in a hole I'd dug which was about five foot deep.I went to check on it about 4am and it was setting in about 2ft of water and still pouring in. I managed to drive it out of the hole with 3 wheels and rain pouring down to where I couldnt see where I was going and dark ass a coal miners a$$.Now that was scarey after previous experience.The wheel was still under water Monday evening.
Cal
Seems like you went to a lot of trouble to get it to rain. :p

Guess checking the lugs on Case > Case International > New Holland tractors need to be at the top of the service list. Years ago Dad had bought a used 1490 Case. I was cutting hay and was feeling strange things from time to time. Wasn't till I saw the tire swing out from under the fender did I realize what was going on. I was lucy enough not to have tire completely fall off and I even recovered all the parts to put it back together.

Glad you are getting some rain.

Holey Moley!! Glad you're pretty much ok...Have you gotten hold of where ever you bought it?? They might go out in the yard and check the lugnuts on everything..Might save somebodys life..

Latest posts