not a good day

Help Support CattleToday:

showmomof2

Reaction score
We have a small herd with a smaller portion registered herefords. We had a 2 yr old heifer due to calve. We had her up, was checking her regularly, checked her at midnight. At 6:30 this morning we found her dead, back down a slight grade and her head inbetween a couple of the barb wires. Don't know what happened. On a good note, though, we have a beautiful healthy heifer calf to bottle feed. We showed the mama for the last couple of years in local fairs so she was like a part of the family. If it weren't for bad luck we wouldn't have any lol.

So sorry for your loss! I know it totally sucks, but sometimes you can do everything 100% right, and still get a UN-favorable outcome, and sometimes everything goes wrong but turns out great. FDid she calve on her own then? Glad you have a nice calf, and a heifer to boot. She's gone, but you have a part of her to replace her in the herd.
Jenna

The same thing happened to her mother-she went down on us, calved , then died (we put her down). This one did calve on her own. Something made me wake up between 3 and 4 this morning-If I could turn back the clock I would have checked her. U know what they say abt hindsight.

showmomof2":19tf56j7 said:
The same thing happened to her mother-she went down on us, calved , then died (we put her down). This one did calve on her own. Something made me wake up between 3 and 4 this morning-If I could turn back the clock I would have checked her. U know what they say abt hindsight.

With the first one--the one you had to put down--did you have to assist in the calving?
Any other calving problems in your herd?

We assisted the mamma because she had been down, something was wrong with her back and we were afraid if we didn't we would lose the calf too. We haven't had any other problems like this. It really appears that both were freak accidents, but we will never know.