Nose ring weaning tips

Help Support CattleToday:

OzssieDave19

Reaction score
Hi Gang. Just put a couple of Easy wean nose rings in calves. How long do I leave them in? Anyone used them? Looking for tips. Instructions suggested 3 weeks. First one I did I left it in another week. Then we had a few days rain. When I removed it I found it had pierced the nose like if you were going to fit a bull ring. I have put the second attempt on a little looser in response. How long does a cow take to go dry is probably the question?

We used the quiet wean nose blabs for quite a few years. Never liked keeping them in for much more than a week, as they caused pressure necrosis of nasal septum epithelium.
But...unless you're going to physically separate cow & calf for at least a couple of months, I can guarantee that most calves will go right back to nursing.

We also use the quiet wean flaps after trying most others. Didn't like the sores left by others. Didn't like the ones made for longer term or the ones that you put through the nose like a nose ring. The Quiet wean flaps are easy on and off. We leave the calf with the cow for 3-5 days with the flap installed. Upon separating from the cow we remove the flaps and the calves go right on with their day. Right to the bunk or off and grazing. We do wean by the signs on top of using the flaps after trying it some years ago. We definitely can tell if we've not weaned by the signs.

I use quiet weaners. Leave them in 5-7 days while on cow. Haul calves home and remove them and don't have to listen to them bawl for three days. Less stress and they take right to the hay feeder in the weaning pen. The hard orange plastic ones are ok, but I cut off and sand the nose buds where the mold form leaves a seam that irritates their noses.

Latest posts