nose paddles

Help Support CattleToday:

City Guy

Reaction score
Have any of you used nose paddles as a weaning devise? Did they work?

My registered calves are sold at weaning for the most part and I'll put one on 5 days before pickup. Won't profess that I'm 100% sure but my buyers report that they don't beller near as much as one newly weaned. I'm trusting what they tell me so I guess it relieves some stress doing it that way. Always heard to never leave one in longer than 7 days.

I used them for a few weanings. I had the plastic ones with the wingnut to tighten them on and the protruding spikes. Stubborn calves would get them out or would suck through the hole in the plastic. I watched one calf suck, ramming the spikes into his dam's udder as he chowed down. Both were quite content with their situation. For the majority, they work. But you always get an odd calf that screws up your plans and I have no time for that. I went back to separation weaning which works 100% every time and is much less work.

28142_T.jpg

They work, and fairly well on a small scale, but on a larger scale I couldn't imagine installing and uninstalling them on 200 calves.. Just separate them good and be done with it is less stressful on that scale (especially for ME)

Why not? They're going thru the chute anyways for me.

I've got neighbours close by, so the less noise the better.