Northerners

Help Support CattleToday:

Oldtimer

Reaction score
For months on this board, I was starting to feel like the only Yankee around- Jeb Stuart and all of Texas and the south breathing down my neck. But its gettin kind of nice to see a few more of us northerners on here - even more of the north of the border people--Just makes things more interesting than talking about eared cows. Just wish more people would post the area they're from-- brings a lot more perspective to their ideas and/or questions.

I agree!

Registered users can edit their profile by clicking on the Profile tab at the top of the page. Just add your general location!

Oldtimer, It is good to see your post from down here. You have a different perspective and human nature makes us long for the nice weather you are having right now not to mention the miles of fresh air. I love Texas but everything down here either pokes you sticks you or bites you. :lol:

Claiming to be a yankee kind of reminds me of when I first came to MO. I asked folks if they considered the area to be the midwest or the south or what. Norht of the river they said the midwest, south of the river the said Missouri

dun

Hey Oldtimer, I really enjoy your posts. I know here in Texas we joke about anything north of the Red River but I for one never considered Montana to be Yankee. Northern, yes. Northern state, no. As far as that goes, I think the country is more divided that it has been at any time since the War Between the States, including the late 1960s and early 70s. Except this time it's along ideological lines instead of geographical. I've got a lot more in common with some people in upstate NY than some people in Austin. A lot of us on this board like the way you and others from "up there" think, including a bunch of the Canadians hanging around here. Whatever you do, keep that big sky perspective coming.

Craig-TX

I thought that termed was reserved for people north of the mason dixon line and east of the mississippi. You are not the only northerner on the board.

Craig-TX":1izv281m said:
Hey Oldtimer, I really enjoy your posts. I know here in Texas we joke about anything north of the Red River but I for one never considered Montana to be Yankee. Northern, yes. Northern state, no. As far as that goes, I think the country is more divided that it has been at any time since the War Between the States, including the late 1960s and early 70s. Except this time it's along ideological lines instead of geographical. I've got a lot more in common with some people in upstate NY than some people in Austin. A lot of us on this board like the way you and others from "up there" think, including a bunch of the Canadians hanging around here. Whatever you do, keep that big sky perspective coming.

Craig-TX

Craig-TX You know you never think of Montana being involved with the civil war- mainly because it was only a Territory mostly occupied at that time by Indians- a few trappers and some miners and prospectors.

But although a union territory, many of the white occupants were southerners.

From what I remember of Montana history the major population of Montana back then (the miners) were pro confederacy. In fact Virginia City Montana (one of the first mining towns) originally was named Varina- after Jefferson Davis' wife. Their was quite a political battle to keep the gold being produced from going to the confederacy. Many of those hung by the Vigilantes as outlaws were confederates- One of the first strung up shouted his last words "Hooray for Jefferson Davis" as they put the rope around his neck.

Although in my part of the State (eastern) they weren't worried about a Civil War- It was still ruled by Sitting Bull and Crazy Horse.