Northern Construction Specifications

Help Support CattleToday:

mnmtranching":o00aeqj0 said:
It's funny that we are so close and rules so different. Here they burn of the slash, Tops, branches, dead trees, undesirable wood, brush, bark.
The fires are huge and you can see the billowing smoke for a hundred miles.
They also burn off the bogs, lots of smoke here and the MN DNR is active in these burns.
These burns will make more smoke the all Canadian house wood fires put together. :shock: :help: :cowboy:

Oh I know. DNR up here wouldn't even contemplate burning a bog. Actually have never seen them burn anything. Up here peat bogs are so deep that they burn for years. One in Manitoba flared up a number of years ago, after being declared extinguished 4 years earlier. CN Rail will burn the railway sidings. Timber piles and old grass is fine in most areas, as long as you have a permit between April 1 and Oct 31.

There were massive fires, before settlement in this area, that would come through and clean everything out every 50-60 years. The last big fire to come through our area was in '52. They stopped it a few yards from a massive straw pile near our hip roof barn. Burned a thousand acres or so. A good burn does a lot of good, but their are a lot of town folk and even some farmers who would try to convince you otherwise. :cowboy:

These aren't peat bogs. It's meadow grass and willows. The lowland grass grows very heavy and the willows keep encroaching. They suspect there might be a endangered Prairie Chicken somewhere in it. Chickens like grassland. These willows REALLY worry the Government boys. They light er up and the willows come back stronger then ever, but keep on burning, like every other year. I wonder if there is a chicken where it goes and if it can get away from all this burning. I think the DNR boys should stay in St Paul and leave things alone. Their getting ready just South of here to do a 160 acre burn, I should get pics. :D

Latest posts