Northeners!!!

Help Support CattleToday:

You all talking about opens up a story.I'd heard about low interest farm loans from the USDA so set up a meeting last tuesday.Was talking to the lady and she said something about expected profit so I asked her if there was farmers who had profit and if so they really could help me out.Not enough sence of humor on her part.

rusty":36d19o9g said:
You all talking about opens up a story.I'd heard about low interest farm loans from the USDA so set up a meeting last tuesday.Was talking to the lady and she said something about expected profit so I asked her if there was farmers who had profit and if so they really could help me out.Not enough sence of humor on her part.

:lol2: :lol2: I can just imagine the look on her face. You ought to pencil out the okra and see what kind of money you can make....well maybe handle is a better word.

1982vett":36d19o9g said:
Yep, I'm putting the old wives tale that "mesquite doesn't get frosted off" to the test. My haygrazer I planted is starting to come up. Pecans have big swollen buds too. Hope they know what they are doing. I guess we we will find out tomorrow.

We don't have mesquite so I'm not familiar with that one. How does it go? I went with the pecans and the muscadine this year since Easter is coming so late. When both of these were budding leaves I planted. Am chomping at the bit to plant millet but I think I'll wait a little longer.

Well I'm sure glad we have global warming...because just think how darned cold it would be otherwise!
This has been a tough winter up here in the tundra but then we are used to it.
Personally I got sick of calving cows in the winter a few years ago and decided if they weren't going to pay me to do it, then I would take an easier path and calve in May!
One thing that I am really envious about is how short of a growing season we get here. Our first frost free day is June 10th(average) and not many years go by when we don't have frost by Sept. 15! Makes it a real challenge to grow tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers.
On the other hand we don't have rattle snakes or black widow spiders or lots of other hot weather critters trying to kill us.

Alberta farmer":2fvi45ak said:
One thing that I am really envious about is how short of a growing season we get here. Our first frost free day is June 10th(average) and not many years go by when we don't have frost by Sept. 15! Makes it a real challenge to grow tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers.
On the other hand we don't have rattle snakes or black widow spiders or lots of other hot weather critters trying to kill us.

Isn't your soil very rich? Seems like I remember reading something about gardening in the far north (maybe it was in Alaska) but it made mention of how rich the soil is.

While ya'll may not have our slithery friends - who by the way only want to give you love taps - ya'll seem to have your fair share of those winged blood suckers. I was in Canada in 1976, and I remember the mosquitoes and blackflies to this day.

Joe: Where I live the soil is a black loam and is pretty good stuff. In Alberta there is a narrow band of black loam soil. Our short growing season doesn't allow us to grow a lot of things.
Mosquitoes can be bad but no black flies here. I think you have to go further north for them. Incidently we feel sulphur in our summer mineral mix and that pretty well keeps the mosquitoes off the cows.
The common practice here is to plant a garden on May 21. Bedding out plants don't go out until June 10th...and then you have to be prepared to cover them up in case of frost. Pretty sad.

Jogeephus":2qxzfxuw said:
We don't have mesquite so I'm not familiar with that one. How does it go? I went with the pecans and the muscadine this year since Easter is coming so late. When both of these were budding leaves I planted. Am chomping at the bit to plant millet but I think I'll wait a little longer.

Nothing more than mesquite won't get frosted off. Could be they are tough enough to stand a little frost. Low this morning was 36.

Hasn't changed temp since this morning; 30 degree's. Hasn't stoped snowin either; avg 10in, drifts almost to my croch. All this today. From what I hear though about twenty miles southwest and twenty miles north they dont have much of a skiff. I'm kinda glad I calved in Jan and feb; cold dry beats cold wet. Calves are probly think may or june woulda been a nice time to calve. :lol2:

I have been wondering,with all that snow up north and all that time you have to spend inside the house is the divorce rate pretty high? Or is the murder rate high? Now I love my wife very much but I could not stand to be couped up 24-7 in the same house with her.

Cal

I aint married but I know why grandpa put a stove in the shop :nod:. Snow don't stop the daily chores though.

Calman":1yb30cvn said:
I have been wondering,with all that snow up north and all that time you have to spend inside the house is the divorce rate pretty high? Or is the murder rate high? Now I love my wife very much but I could not stand to be couped up 24-7 in the same house with her.

Cal

I'm with you Cal, the only thing i can stand 24-7 is my dog, an she looks at me kinda funny .

Saturday it was so darned cold. Wind chill mainly. Steven said that most of the snow had melted with the excpetion of the drifts, in Amarillo. It was his first blizzard. I don't think he wants to stick around for another one.

Could not get out in the garden so we painted the living room instead.

Latest posts