North vs. South

Help Support CattleToday:

grubbie

Reaction score
I've noticed since I have joined this board how different the markets are between northern and southern U.S., but not sure of the reason. Seems like when southern folks are unhappy with low calf prices ours here in the north stay higher. Maybe they don't show a rise but we are still staying over 1.00 while some places in the south are nearly half that much. Cows are very low here but yearlings and calves remain high. Also, when you take a calf to market here, you are generally going to make around $550.00 for that calf, no matter what it weighs. A 550 lb calf will bring 1.00, a 500 lb calf will bring 1.10, 450 lb calf will bring 1.25,...etc. One more thing,....it doesnt matter whether it is angus, hereford, baldy, saler, gelbvieh, or any cross of these and any color. Even our 1/2 longhorns do well. Run a cow through with a lot of ear, it might be a different story, but you just don't see those around here. I have also heard southern folks "take a knock" based on color. Is it the local preference of breeds in northern vs. southern states that cause such a difference in the market?

With transportation costs, proximity to the feedlots would make a difference

grubbie":382u1s5e said:
Run a cow through with a lot of ear, it might be a different story, but you just don't see those around here.

If a steer has more than a half ear, we take a little bit of a hit here locally. But we get more than premium for cows or heifers with a half ear. So much it seems like a wash.

I am still wondering if I should buy a truck load of cold climate cattle and ship them north, buy a bunch of eared cows there and bring them south.

backhoeboogie":1vn5deyv said:
grubbie":1vn5deyv said:
Run a cow through with a lot of ear, it might be a different story, but you just don't see those around here.

If a steer has more than a half ear, we take a little bit of a hit here locally. But we get more than premium for cows or heifers with a half ear. So much it seems like a wash.

I am still wondering if I should buy a truck load of cold climate cattle and ship them north, buy a bunch of eared cows there and bring them south.
Depends on how far north you find eared cattle. My neighbor raises Gerts and in the past, don;t know abou this year, he used to haul them to some salebarn in OK. After the haulexpenses he did better with them then if he had sold them in MO even to the OK buyers.

grubbie":3r4gddmi said:
Is it the local preference of breeds in northern vs. southern states that cause such a difference in the market?

I believe that down south the preference is for black first. This is reflected in the sales price at auction time. I prefer beefmaster, but thhey just don't bring as much. Now cross that Beefmaster with a black bull, and you have something. Black with little ear gets you good money, even now. If your selling weanling heifers, a little ear brings more money than none. There are plenty of farmers that buy heifers, raise them and sell them in "replacement" sales. In these sales brangus type commercial bring the most. Brafords/tigers bring in a close second. Most people down here want a replacement with some ear to help with the heat. There are always exceptions, baldies are the one that comes to mind. Everyone wants black baldies, either heifers as replacements, or steers to send to the feedlots. At least in my parts the most common herd is black cows with a growth bull, or mixed cows (baldies, tigers, etc.) with an Angus/Brangus bull. In both scenarios you get calves that are predominately black, but still grow well.

Limomike":366q63w8 said:
Not sure if that is true or not. Would like to see more facts on this.
Well maybe I'm wrong. But I'm pretty sure back in October when we shipped ours people on this board were talking about $60 cwt. Here is what the market was here in Oct.
http://www.bellefourchelivestock.com/Be ... -23-08.pdf

And here is the most current report, now if I am wrong tell me, but I was under the impression that prices in the southern states were much lower.
http://www.bellefourchelivestock.com/Be ... -18-08.pdf

grubbie":30xdoyb3 said:
I've noticed since I have joined this board how different the markets are between northern and southern U.S., but not sure of the reason. Seems like when southern folks are unhappy with low calf prices ours here in the north stay higher. Maybe they don't show a rise but we are still staying over 1.00 while some places in the south are nearly half that much. Cows are very low here but yearlings and calves remain high. Also, when you take a calf to market here, you are generally going to make around $550.00 for that calf, no matter what it weighs. A 550 lb calf will bring 1.00, a 500 lb calf will bring 1.10, 450 lb calf will bring 1.25,...etc. One more thing,....it doesnt matter whether it is angus, hereford, baldy, saler, gelbvieh, or any cross of these and any color. Even our 1/2 longhorns do well. Run a cow through with a lot of ear, it might be a different story, but you just don't see those around here. I have also heard southern folks "take a knock" based on color. Is it the local preference of breeds in northern vs. southern states that cause such a difference in the market?

Southeastern cattle have had a bad reputation with buyers and feeders. And the price they received for their cattle reflected that. It's not an accurate reputation today, according to this link:

http://www.cabpartners.com/news/press/R ... iginNR.pdf

Yes, some southern breeders feel they need Brahman in their herd and those cattle will get discounted. Right or wrong, buyers will continue to buy cattle as cheaply as they can.

grubbie":2bwyga72 said:
Limomike":2bwyga72 said:
Not sure if that is true or not. Would like to see more facts on this.
Well maybe I'm wrong. But I'm pretty sure back in October when we shipped ours people on this board were talking about $60 cwt. Here is what the market was here in Oct.
http://www.bellefourchelivestock.com/Be ... -23-08.pdf

And here is the most current report, now if I am wrong tell me, but I was under the impression that prices in the southern states were much lower.
http://www.bellefourchelivestock.com/Be ... -18-08.pdf

I haven't broken down your numbers class by class but it does appear that prices here are lower than they are there.

http://www.ams.usda.gov/mnreports/mg_ls158.txt

and this is not a real good example because due to the early cold they really don't have any numbers.

This is the price we pay for letting the slaughter and finishing biz leave the south. Contrary too common perception I don't think the 'black brings more' line is true around here. To me all good calves bring about the same be they black, red, white, gray, or yellow; but Longhorns, Brahmas, Gerts, spotted calves, horns, toads, dairy, anything wierd, gets a significant dock and when good calves are bringing 80 cents a 10 or 12 cent dock kills.

in our region a avg set of blacks will bring thee same as a above avg set of reds
Reds will get as high as the blacks but it doesn't take the quality of black to bring the same price

If the quality of the reds and blacks are the same the blacks wiil bring a few more $$

Latest posts