North vs South breeding

Help Support CattleToday:

the fishman

Reaction score
About 25 or 30 years ago there was a report out of the UK about a dairy herd that influenced the sex of AI sired calves by the direction the cow was headed when (and after) bred. The research found that facing them north increased the number of bulls and south resulted in more females. It was postulated that there is a slight difference in the polarity of Y vs X semen. (Now a lot of people may make fun of this, but keep in mind that the good folks @ Monsanto/Genex are doing something to sort semen today)

The dairy herd in the UK wanted all heifers, so they bred their cows facing south. As they were in stanchions or tie stalls, they could face them south for many hours after breeding. The assumption was that the longer they faced that direction after breeding, the higher percentage of heifers (if the cow faced south). In most beef operations the cows are only in the chute for a short while. However, one could have a lane or feedbunk setup that would encourage the cows to be facing a particular direction for some period of time. The key is not to put additional stress on the animal, which would reduce conception rate.

Has anyone else heard of this? The interesting thing about this concept is that no one ever really promoted it as there was no way to make a profit from it. Can't patent it or charge for it.

My recollection is that the UK dairy herd was running over 90% heifers.

the fishman

Anyone wanna' go fishing - I hear they're biting today.

:lol:

Bez!

cowboy13":37t3l8gj said:
Bez!":37t3l8gj said:
Anyone wanna' go fishing - I hear they're biting today.

:lol:

Bez!

You bring the poles and I'll bring the bait. :lol:

Check the name of the original poster. :lol:

Bez!

I see to it that all my cows are bred at sunset facing west. It's more romantic that way and I have a much better conception rate!

bif !

My bed at home faces North. I have two boys and two girls.

Guess I must have been upside-down a couple of times. ;-)

I still have a lot of research to do before I will know the benefits of west breeding and the sex of the calves. However I have all the confidence thatwest is best for heifers and east is least for heifers.
I also like to go fishing when the wind is from the west, or from the south on somedays but only if the clouds are right.!

bif

There are old pharts around here that still believe it and are admant that it works. Since our chute faces north I don;t understand why we end up over all at at year end with just about equal heifers and bulls.

dun

buckaroo_bif":2iay4ymm said:
I still have a lot of research to do before I will know the benefits of west breeding and the sex of the calves. However I have all the confidence thatwest is best for heifers and east is least for heifers.
I also like to go fishing when the wind is from the west, or from the south on somedays but only if the clouds are right.!

bif

HAHA - I bet you are one of those that don't go fishing or hunting when the "Cows are Lying Down" too! ;-) :lol: 8) :D

NO ! I always like to fish when the cows are grazing or even better yet at sundown while they are breeding. I never fish while they are drinking especially when they are draining their bladders in the pond.

bif

dun":37l42vpf said:
There are old pharts around here that still believe it and are admant that it works. Since our chute faces north I don;t understand why we end up over all at at year end with just about equal heifers and bulls.

dun
Maybe 1/2 the cows turn around in the chute while you aren't looking. :)

My great grandpa always said, "The best time for fishing is when it's raining... and when it ain't!"

la4angus":1babjsmv said:
dun":1babjsmv said:

dun
Maybe 1/2 the cows turn around in the chute while you aren't looking. :)

If they bite I know I've got the wrong end

dun

This concept was debated in the mid 70's ,several ranchers tried it without any difference in the ratio of sexes. Another theory was that bulls produce more bull calves when young, and more hiefers when old, nothing much came of this one either!

Latest posts