Normal Behavior?

Help Support CattleToday:

HOSS

Reaction score
I have some heifers that have been in with my bull for about 6 weeks. I assumed that they were bred due to the fact that I haven't noticed any heat behavior in the heifers or interest from the bull. This week I observed one heifer rearing up on the bulls back. He had his head stuffed into the hay ring and acted like he didn't notice. My question is.........is this normal behavior from hormones etc.. and she is probably bred or is the most logical explanation that she has not been successfully bred? She had not acted this way through what would have been her last cycle.

I would guess that she is in or coming into heat. Yes she may be bred or have been bred. Remember that cattle have very high probability of embryonic death. she could have been bred and lost her embryo and is now back in heat.

How crowded is your hay ring? I've got a few cows that have learned that if they ride something at a crowded hay ring, they can make whatever they are riding move out of the way so they can get up to it.

cows do that all the time. it doesnt necessarily mean anything. she was probably just trying to get him out of the way. Do you know if she had asked him to Mooove?

That's funny Beefy! He outweighs her by about 800 pounds. I don't think it made any difference to him if she asked or not......he does whatever he wants within the herd anyway :)

Latest posts