Noonan and Gizzards

Help Support CattleToday:

Train

Reaction score
Many years ago I wound up in Noonan, North Dakota on one of those " we're here for the beer" trips. One of the two things I remember was eating baskets full of deep fried chicken gizzards. Anyone here know just what the batter might have consisted of ? I just bought a deep frier and would like to try to make them.

I was never a big fan of the chicken gizzard. Like eating a larger pencil eraser. Livers I like, but not gizzards.

My family loves them but I don't deep fry. I boil them and then roll in flour seasoned with salt pepper and garlic powder then pan fry in butter and olive oil.

I love gizzards. Here is my recipe.

Take two eggs and beat in bowl. Add a little milk. Mix well.

Take a cup of all purpose flour. Add garlic and onion powder mix well. Add seaoning salt and pepper mix well.

Use peanut oil and get it to 375.

Put a handful of gizzard in egg mixture and stir around. pull them out and put in a plastic bag with the flour mixture and batter shake them around till they are full coated. Drop them one at a time in the greese and cook for 6 minutes.

If the crust is not thick enough for your liking you can repeat the battering process again before cooking or you can combine egg mixture and flour and make a thick slurry to emerse them in. Little too much for me though.

Here's my receipt for cooking gizzards.

Start with filling a two qt sauce pan with water. Season to your liking (I use salt, pepper, crab boil, lemon and a little cayenne pepper) and place on the stove to boil.

Go out in the yard and find two or three medium size rocks and place them, with the gizzards, in the boiling mixture.

Boil until the rocks get tender then throw the gizzards out and eat the rocks! :D

Seriously, I know some folks like gizzards but I never developed a taste for them. I like chicken livers but can leave the gizzards alone.

Thanks for the ideas. Lammie, remember there was a lot of beer involved when I tried them. That might have contributed to my enjoying them. Lavacarancher, I could have substituted your recipe for a lot of stuff growing up. :lol: Think I'll try Jogeephus' recipe first. Chrissy, I'm sure that's not the recipe but I bookmarked that site. Lot's of stuff to try on there for sure.

Anyone like chicken hearts ass well. I do them like CKC1586 only without the flour. Thing is you used to be able to get a big pack around here for 50 cents. Now it's close to 3 dollars for a package half the size.

BTW - not that these will be greasy but if you soak them in salt water brine for two hours before cooking them they will not have the least taste of grease.

Train":gz9ni82b said:
Thanks for the ideas. Lammie, remember there was a lot of beer involved when I tried them. That might have contributed to my enjoying them. Lavacarancher, I could have substituted your recipe for a lot of stuff growing up. :lol: Think I'll try Jogeephus' recipe first. Chrissy, I'm sure that's not the recipe but I bookmarked that site. Lot's of stuff to try on there for sure.

Anyone like chicken hearts ass well. I do them like CKC1586 only without the flour. Thing is you used to be able to get a big pack around here for 50 cents. Now it's close to 3 dollars for a package half the size.
Yup, do the hearts and gizzards together if we have them. The price has gotten crazy just like wings used to be cheap....