Noob rider Questions

Help Support CattleToday:

rpfarm25

Reaction score
Hey everyone, so with the snow hitting the ground this morning I though what better time to grab a cup of coffee and browse the forums.

I recently purchased a green broke 2 year old quater horse gelding. He is about 15.5 now and is expected to grow around 16. Now my last horse was broke beyond belief. But sadly I lost him due to old age (27 yo) so now I am in the process of teaching my new horse. I have no experience training a horse whatsoever, but im eager to learn. I rode him for the first time the other day and he saddles well and is calm, I though since he is a big boy and energetic that I would have trouble getting him to stop, but it was getting him to go that was the problem. I know all it will take many rides and a lot of time with him to get him where I want him to be but Im just not sure where to start. If he does something I dont want him to do how do you discipline him? I am also interested in training him to pull our sleigh in the winter and wagon in the summer, how does one go aout this.

I apologize for the noob questions but i guess i need to start somewhere. Thanks for any pointers everyone I really appreciate it!

A lot to digest there. Sounds like you have some riding experience, I know it feels like the next step should be breaking and training. Why don't you apprentice with someone in your area before undertaking such a large endeavor. Watching the guys and girls on RFD tv makes it look easy. Also many will tell you other wise I'm sure, but breaking a horse to pull a cart is excellent. Makes them learn to conserve energy. It'll give them a good soft mouth to if you do it right. Gets them flexing at the poll as well.

Ya your probably right about it looking easier than it really is, I've heard that for a draft horse it comes natural and its very easy to train them to pull, but a quarter horse is one of the hardest to teach. Of course there is an endless supply of dvds and books out there on how to train, its too bad my old gramps ain't here anymore, he did the majority of his work around the yard with his quater horse and the stone boat. bet he could teach me a thing or 2. Really want to train him to do everything, cut cows, pull wagon, and just ride for pleasure and want to train while he is still somewhat young.

a horse has two sides to his brain, so you have to train both.
when you you talk to him look in both eyes, not just one or the other.
watch his ears amd make sure both sides understand what your saying.
when you train him make sure you listen to his opinions, you don't have to agree but atleast listen.
i wouldn't discipline him unless your willing to accept discipline from him.

If you have problems with getting them to go, it's best to get that worked out on the ground so that he understands that go means walk before you get on him. Don't be scared to spank his butt to get him moving. If he handles that well then great but if he doesn't, be glad you weren't sitting on him. I like to have all of the commands worked out before I ever get on one and I feel that can be done from the ground with some ingenuity.
Every time you teach him something, watch his mouth and ears. When the ears relax and he works his lips, he gets whatever it was you just taught him and the lesson is over. Every horse is different but most of todays quarter horses will learn as fast as you can teach them so there's really no use in grinding him until he gets older.

there is a difference between discipline and correction, i never discipline a horse but always correct a horse.
remember a horse doesn't think same you.
he has different ideas and interest than you and knows more thn you give him credit for.
just like taking a horse to big rough place he's never been on and looking for cattle without success and give your horse his head and he takes you right to them, he knows more than you do so you need to listen to him.
what your wanting is for him to work for you and he may not be interested in your job.
you can make a horse submisive and midless and that all you'll ever have is a mindless robot that obeys commands
the toughest thing is getting him to agree with you and trust your judgement, show signs of poor judgement and he'll quit you.
just because he's young and green doesn't make him dumb, he just doesn't have the experience and his brain hasn't matured yet, talk to him with respect like you would your own teenage son.
give him a job and let him take the responsibility for the job

Latest posts