Non typical racks ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
Shot a 4 x 5 buck last fall with a burley two point "crab claw" on one side.
This fall I have a 4 x 6 buck with two crab claws on one side.

Have you seen this much? Is this considered a non typical?

Full disclosure: my husband didn't shoot this one, we found it at our watershed lake. Not sure how he died but we got a salvage tag. Neighbor had been tracking him for 2 years - pretty cool to compare the trail cam pics to the "finished product".

Aaron":emwhfu95 said:
I thought this was going to be a far more interesting topic before I read it.
Which is what most of us were thinking.

Nowadays tho, with all the different 'enhancement' procedures available and evidently so popular, I think "non typical' would mean 'small'.

TCRanch":x01zjkf5 said:
Full disclosure: my husband didn't shoot this one, we found it at our watershed lake. Not sure how he died but we got a salvage tag. Neighbor had been tracking him for 2 years - pretty cool to compare the trail cam pics to the "finished product".

Nice rack :D

greybeard":s2uau46t said:
Nowadays tho, with all the different 'enhancement' procedures available and evidently so popular, I think "non typical' would mean 'small'.

No. One side is much much bigger than the other.

Stocker Steve":1lf297oe said:
greybeard":1lf297oe said:

Sounds like he was injured, that will cause the opposite side to be small or deformed.

Caustic Burno":2m549ngm said:
Stocker Steve":2m549ngm said:
greybeard":2m549ngm said:

Sounds like he was injured, that will cause the opposite side to be small or deformed.

Hard to find some times. But when you see the rack, you search, and find the injury. It can be only slight. Other times it is inherently obvious.

Caustic Burno":nmh7wavi said:
Stocker Steve":nmh7wavi said:
greybeard":nmh7wavi said:

CB are you the one that told me some people actually shoot them with buckshot when they're young to intentionally promote atypical growth?

TCRanch":1cz9g4vc said:
Caustic Burno":1cz9g4vc said:
Stocker Steve":1cz9g4vc said:

CB are you the one that told me some people actually shoot them with buckshot when they're young to intentionally promote atypical growth?

Nope not me, the ones I shoot with buckshot become sausage.

TCRanch":3irifd4y said:
Caustic Burno":3irifd4y said:
Stocker Steve":3irifd4y said:

TCR I've heard rumors that they shoot them with BB guns or pellet guns while they are still in velvet. Just enough to cause a small injury to the antler. Cannot confirm if this actually happens or not. Usually just genetics as much as anything.

Latest posts