Non Registered Seed Stock

Help Support CattleToday:

angus9259

Reaction score
Changing threads since the topic seems to be changing . . .

Years ago I bought some F1 baldy heifers from a registered hereford breeder using a registered angus bull. Though not "registerable", are such cattle capable of being used as seedstock in the commercial cattle industry?

I put a registered simmental bull on these heifers and they produced some GREAT offspring. Can/should they be used as potential herd sires or replacement heifers in a commercial herd acknowledging the EPD problems?

Keep in mind I am a registered angus seedstock supplier. I have sold none of these commercial cattle off the farm for anything but terminal applications. I HAVE kept heifers to stock my commercial herd.

In my opinion the best range cows are not purebred cattle, but grade cattle. A registration paper does not make an animal breeding quality. A quote I herd one time is "the purebred industry is about selling change". I think this statement is very true. The purebred industry always has to be making the animals "better", be it taller, shorter, fatter, thinner etc. whereas the commerical industry just wants a good cow. Therefore, if these crossbred heifers are good heifers that you would be proud to own, yes, they can be sold as replacement females.

As for crossbred bulls, it is a little more of a problem. There are producers selling "Hybrid" bulls in western Canada. They tell you what the cross is and they have a program that they produce that cross. The bulls sell with performance numbers. For example, a common cross would be a 1/2 Simi, 1/2 Red Angus or 3/8 Simi, 5/8 Red Angus. All the bulls would be the same percentage and the producer would have 20 or more of them. If you are planning on just selling one or two good looking bulls, I would tend to stay away from it. However, if you want to develop a hybrid bull program, there is no problem.

RVF":3qjiu3md said:
In my opinion the best range cows are not purebred cattle, but grade cattle. A registration paper does not make an animal breeding quality. A quote I herd one time is "the purebred industry is about selling change". I think this statement is very true. The purebred industry always has to be making the animals "better", be it taller, shorter, fatter, thinner etc. whereas the commerical industry just wants a good cow. Therefore, if these crossbred heifers are good heifers that you would be proud to own, yes, they can be sold as replacement females.

As for crossbred bulls, it is a little more of a problem. There are producers selling "Hybrid" bulls in western Canada. They tell you what the cross is and they have a program that they produce that cross. The bulls sell with performance numbers. For example, a common cross would be a 1/2 Simi, 1/2 Red Angus or 3/8 Simi, 5/8 Red Angus. All the bulls would be the same percentage and the producer would have 20 or more of them. If you are planning on just selling one or two good looking bulls, I would tend to stay away from it. However, if you want to develop a hybrid bull program, there is no problem.
the heifer's will work fine ...the bulls require a little more development now im talking F1S.. to get a consistency.>> homozygous ,, in em cause most cross bred aint consistant for any trait although they may be superior to the parents. they won't pass it to their offsprings...atleast not all it will be hit and miss

With a registered seed stock herd you have the perfect nucleus of your commercial herd. F1 cows bred to terminal bulls would be great. When those F1s meet the dinner table you have the registered stuff to generate more. On a small scale that's what we do with the Red Angus cows.
The question arises frequently of why start with registered cows?
My answer: With registered cows you have years of background data on the cows lineage and can make comparisons of her with the other cows.

ALACOWMAN":3ssxqsj9 said:
the bulls require a little more development now im talking F1S.. to get a consistency.>> homozygous ,, in em cause most cross bred aint consistant for any trait although they may be superior to the parents. they won't pass it to their offsprings...atleast not all it will be hit and miss

I agree with your point, I personally do not agree with producing F1 bulls, my statement was just that it is being done and usually there is a plan in place.