Non fucntioning quarters

Help Support CattleToday:

dcara

Reaction score
9 yr old Red Angus Chief line cow has week old calf. She developed a diary size bag when she calved. She has never developed a bag this slarge in the past. The back half of bag doesn't look like it has gone done much at all and is at least twice the size of the front half. Not sure if the calf is not nursing it or if teats are clogged. The problem is she has been so skitish I can't get within 500 ft of her before she runs off with her calf which makes it difficult to get her to the pens. Without a calf I can usually pet her. Assuming I can eventually get her into a pen/chute is there a recommended way of stripping teats if its clogged?

If it's only been a week -- the little bugger just may not be working the other quarters yet... no need to get alarmed yet IMHO... just keep watching and I'll bet money that the calf will work the other quarters soon.

DavisBeefmasters":2j1lsxee said:
If it's only been a week -- the little bugger just may not be working the other quarters yet... no need to get alarmed yet IMHO... just keep watching and I'll bet money that the calf will work the other quarters soon.
:nod:

Are the teats on the rear half a lot closer to the ground then the fronts?

Until she settles down enough for you to pen her up and check the teats not much you can do but wait and see if the calf eventually sucks them out.

Sounds like mastitis may be setting in just on the udder info being so large. I would pen that cow now!!!! if she was mine and check that udder for fever and milk the back quarters to check for infection. To easy to check and save a good cow from becoming a ticket to the sale barn.

Caustic Burno":1le67ipv said:
Sounds like mastitis may be setting in just on the udder info being so large. I would pen that cow now!!!! if she was mine and check that udder for fever and milk the back quarters to check for infection. To easy to check and save a good cow from becoming a ticket to the sale barn.
I think Caustic is right. Could be a trip to sale barn or worse.
Of course if you absolutely can't pen her not much you can do.

Ryder":2a6ozqgq said:
Caustic Burno":2a6ozqgq said:
I think Caustic is right. Could be a trip to sale barn or worse.
Of course if you absolutely can't pen her not much you can do.
I agree too but I can't throw a rope 500 ft. either. :lol2:

She has finally calmed down a bit and came up to within about 100 ft of the pen. Her bag looks much better (see pic). The rear of the bag was much larger than in the pic. I was able to able to pen the calf and get a weight. 94 lbs at 7 days old. I'm guessing an 80 lb BW which is close to what another cow had when I weighed her calf at 83lbs the day after birth. Had another calf today from a heifer that was born yesterday I think. Weighed in at 75 lbs today. Fall calving season has arraived. All of are out of a son of Cheyenne.

Maybe I can get this cow penned in the next week or so and check the teats. Any suggestions when I do?

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b249/ ... day003.jpg

Still looks full but looks like the baby is gradually taking care of things on his own. No real swelling to speak of. Give him time. Next thing to watch for is the baby getting the "milk squirts". Not a problem but just an overload of milk.

dcara":1lcs367l said:
She has finally calmed down a bit and came up to within about 100 ft of the pen. Her bag looks much better (see pic). The rear of the bag was much larger than in the pic. I was able to able to pen the calf and get a weight. 94 lbs at 7 days old. I'm guessing an 80 lb BW which is close to what another cow had when I weighed her calf at 83lbs the day after birth. ( Had another calf today from a heifer that was born yesterday) I think. Weighed in at 75 lbs today. Fall calving season has arraived. All of are out of a son of Cheyenne.

Maybe I can get this cow penned in the next week or so and check the teats. Any suggestions when I do?

Boy, it's going to be hard to beat a calf from a heifer born yesterday.

Roadapple":3cbp5uhq said:
dcara":3cbp5uhq said:
She has finally calmed down a bit and came up to within about 100 ft of the pen. Her bag looks much better (see pic). The rear of the bag was much larger than in the pic. I was able to able to pen the calf and get a weight. 94 lbs at 7 days old. I'm guessing an 80 lb BW which is close to what another cow had when I weighed her calf at 83lbs the day after birth. ( Had another calf today from a heifer that was born yesterday) I think. Weighed in at 75 lbs today. Fall calving season has arraived. All of are out of a son of Cheyenne.

Boy, it's going to be hard to beat a calf from a heifer born yesterday.
should be a moneymaker thats for sure :lol: :lol:

Uh, no offense, but looks to me like even if this calf gets all the teats before she gets mastitis, that
might not be the case with the next one.