Non electric high tensile... Electrified?!

Help Support CattleToday:

TCFRH

Reaction score
We have high tensile fence around our bull pasture (see my other recent post), barb on top and bottom, with two lines of electric fence inside to keep them contained. The electric fence runs around 6.8 volts on each line.

I was checking it today and reached through to check a line on the other side of the fence (to keep the cows from pushing in) and rested my arm on one of the non electrified lines. To my surprise, I got a little tingly pop through my forearm! Checked it, and it's showing 2.4 volts. Checked the rest of the non electrified lines, and one other is showing 1.4 volts.

There is nowhere that any electric wire is touching the (supposed to be) non electric high tensile. Electric is all insulated, and high tensile is tied around wood posts. Any idea how these lines are getting a charge?

The wires are in contact somewhere, probably in a place not readily apparent.

Could be a lot of things, the jumpers between them, a staple or clip touching, insulated wire rubbed through, etc. You'll need to go over it with a fine tooth comb.

If it is a pretty long run, you could disconnect it partway and see if you are still getting stray voltage to isolate it to one half or the other.

Yeh it is not like wifi, has to be a physical connection somewhere. Check your voltage of the electrified wire as I would suspect that the leakage would be pulling down your voltage a bit.

Ken

6.8 volts ? It's been a while since I have my fence charger up but, that Don't sound right ? Is that 6.8KV's ? Has that been keeping your bull in ? And is your high tensile on insulators of your wooden post ?

6.8 volts ? It's been a while since I have my fence charger up but, that Don't sound right ? Is that 6.8KV's ? Has that been keeping your bull in ? And is your high tensile on insulators of your wooden post ?
Sorry, 6.8 kV's. Bull stays in just fine with that amount. High tensile is hand tied around the posts, the electric is run through ceramic insulators nailed to the posts and poly insulators screwed into the posts (inside corners).

Upgrade to an 8 to 10 joule energizer. Be sure your ground wire and ground rods are of the same material. Use a ground rod
for each 3 joules. If your Gallagher is working you have (heaven forbid!) missed something. signed Experience!

We have high tensile fence around our bull pasture (see my other recent post), barb on top and bottom, with two lines of electric fence inside to keep them contained. The electric fence runs around 6.8 volts on each line.

I was checking it today and reached through to check a line on the other side of the fence (to keep the cows from pushing in) and rested my arm on one of the non electrified lines. To my surprise, I got a little tingly pop through my forearm! Checked it, and it's showing 2.4 volts. Checked the rest of the non electrified lines, and one other is showing 1.4 volts.

There is nowhere that any electric wire is touching the (supposed to be) non electric high tensile. Electric is all insulated, and high tensile is tied around wood posts. Any idea how these lines are getting a charge?
The hot wires can bleed over to the non-hot wires. I had two strands of polywire totally disconnected from my charger, the third strand was still connected and bleeding off onto the other two strands that were 15 to 20 inches from it. I talked with a guy at Premier and he said that that was not uncommon. It is also important not to have two separate electric fences running off of two separate chargers within 6 feet of each other as the chargers can do damage to each other

Had a dairy that used 1 strand high tensile NOT ATTACHED to any fence charger.... but it carried enough charge to get a Zing... from overhead high voltage electric lines..... Anything like that around???? I'm talking hundred feet in the air or something like that....

Upgrade to an 8 to 10 joule energizer. Be sure your ground wire and ground rods are of the same material. Use a ground rod
for each 3 joules. If your Gallagher is working you have (heaven forbid!) missed something. signed Experience!

Why does he need to upgrade his charger?

I think he was actually meaning 6.8 kV instead of volts, so 6800 volts is what he has on the fence that is supposed to be charged. Thats really not bad. I wouldnt stick my nose on it.

Latest posts