nodding horse

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Hi There: Another Question concerning the frightened horse. My 12 year old Gelding Quarter horse Which I got last year, Nods all the time when he has his bridle on. And then other times he doesn't. Like I said, I think he was mistreated sometime in his life. He trail rides wonderfully, and behaves quite well. But sometimes when I try to catch him he bobs his head like snowflakes are falling on him (steady). Sometimes it doesn't matter if we are riding with others or not. My farrier floated his teeth last fall and this spring he said he was ok, so thats not it. He also has a V shaped gouge out of his tounge. I don't know. Any suggestions! Thanks Becky.

I've enclosed a link for you to read,,it has to do with sunlight and a nerve,,,you'll have to do a little research,,,like does he do it mostly in sunny conditions. The link also contains some other ideas.

<A HREF="http://www.vetpro.co.nz/Vet" TARGET="_blank">http://www.vetpro.co.nz/Vet</A>%20Talk_Equine/head_shaking.htm

> I've enclosed a link for you to
> read,,it has to do with sunlight
> and a nerve,,,you'll have to do a
> little research,,,like does he do
> it mostly in sunny conditions. The
> link also contains some other
> ideas.

It seems funny that he doesn't shake his head when he is out in the pasture. It is only when he is tied at the fence during grooming, or waiting to be groomed or sometimes when riding. It's funny he goes in spurts, sometimes for days then not at all. He even does it in the winter especially when the snowflakes hit him. He does quick little gerky nods and sometimes little grunts.

> <A HREF="http://www.vetpro.co.nz/Vet" TARGET="_blank">http://www.vetpro.co.nz/Vet</A>
> %20Talk_Equine/head_shaking.htm

> Hi There: Another Question
> concerning the frightened horse.
> My 12 year old Gelding Quarter
> horse Which I got last year, Nods
> all the time when he has his
> bridle on. And then other times he
> doesn't. Like I said, I think he
> was mistreated sometime in his
> life. He trail rides wonderfully,
> and behaves quite well. But
> sometimes when I try to catch him
> he bobs his head like snowflakes
> are falling on him (steady).
> Sometimes it doesn't matter if we
> are riding with others or not. My
> farrier floated his teeth last
> fall and this spring he said he
> was ok, so thats not it. He also
> has a V shaped gouge out of his
> tounge. I don't know. Any
> suggestions! Thanks Becky.

Becky a thought for you sometimes a thouhgtless owner or trainer will use a twisted wire bit. I am not talking about the type purchased at a tack store but hand made out of bailing wire. I was really glad when they went to twine. Ok sometimes there will be an old mark under the upper lip this is part of the combination used.Not many people do this, but you would be supprised, where they crop up. If that fails ( I hope it will). You may want to try the ears, check for mites. They harbor there and can drive a horse crazy. Your vet can give some med. for you to use. Good Luck and may you have many happy trails.

[email protected]

I'm not one for spending much money. I have a horse a Morgan that does this every year the first time we ride him. My neighbors have a horse that does it when he's excited. It could just be something along those lines does he grind the bit?? Most of that kind of behavior in my experience is a sense of "play" time a habit of enjoyment. Or it could be something in his past he could be nervous. Jake

[email protected]

> I'm not one for spending much
> money. I have a horse a Morgan
> that does this every year the
> first time we ride him. My
> neighbors have a horse that does
> it when he's excited. It could
> just be something along those
> lines does he grind the bit?? Most
> of that kind of behavior in my
> experience is a sense of
> "play" time a habit of
> enjoyment. Or it could be
> something in his past he could be
> nervous. Jake

You know I think you are right. He never does it when he is out in the pasture with his buddy. Only around people and not all the time. It's annoying but we just keep riding him and grooming him and hopefully the times he does it will get fewer, when he finally realizes he might have found his paradise to live. No beatings and blankets in winter, fly stuff in summer, clean stall everynight. Wow horsie heaven. Thanks Becky

> Becky a thought for you sometimes
> a thouhgtless owner or trainer
> will use a twisted wire bit. I am
> not talking about the type
> purchased at a tack store but hand
> made out of bailing wire. I was
> really glad when they went to
> twine. Ok sometimes there will be
> an old mark under the upper lip
> this is part of the combination
> used.Not many people do this, but
> you would be supprised, where they
> crop up. If that fails ( I hope it
> will). You may want to try the
> ears, check for mites. They harbor
> there and can drive a horse crazy.
> Your vet can give some med. for
> you to use. Good Luck and may you
> have many happy trails.

I just came in and checked these messages we have been out seeding the fields. That sounds awfull about the bit. I will check tonite. Also how do I check for mites. Does the vet have to look or can I see them? When I bought him the people said he had been ridden with a Bosal. But I have been using a snaffle bit. It has the copper ball in it and he seems to like it most times. Like I said he doesn't do this every time.

> I just came in and checked these
> messages we have been out seeding
> the fields. That sounds awfull
> about the bit. I will check
> tonite. Also how do I check for
> mites. Does the vet have to look
> or can I see them? When I bought
> him the people said he had been
> ridden with a Bosal. But I have
> been using a snaffle bit. It has
> the copper ball in it and he seems
> to like it most times. Like I said
> he doesn't do this every time.

Becky you would need the vet to do it he/she would need to look in a microscope. It sounds as if the last owners had the same trouble with him. Can he get his toung over the bit? That is a pretty good indicator there was trouble, Sometimes when people start a colt, they won't put the bit up into the mouth where it needs to be,so it hangs down and hits the teeth,that drives the colt crazy.They then learn how to play with the bit. Tongue over etc. Also check for wolf teeth.Often when the stearing goes out its teeth.There somewhat small teeth infrount of the 1st molar after the indenture space, check all 4 courners. Well we will see what you come up with.Good Luck!!

[email protected]

> Becky you would need the vet to do
> it he/she would need to look in a
> microscope. It sounds as if the
> last owners had the same trouble
> with him. Can he get his toung
> over the bit? That is a pretty
> good indicator there was trouble,
> Sometimes when people start a
> colt, they won't put the bit up
> into the mouth where it needs to
> be,so it hangs down and hits the
> teeth,that drives the colt
> crazy.They then learn how to play
> with the bit. Tongue over etc.
> Also check for wolf teeth.Often
> when the stearing goes out its
> teeth.There somewhat small teeth
> infrount of the 1st molar after
> the indenture space, check all 4
> courners. Well we will see what
> you come up with.Good Luck!!

Checked under his tongue last night and there was no mark so that's good! His wolf teeth are ok. My farrier floated his teeth last fall and checked them again this spring and they are fine. I am beginning to think it has something to do with misstreatment sometime in his past and will have to work through it if possible. He is a good little guy otherwise. My vet is coming out soon and I will get him to check his ears and my mare's ears also. His name is "SPIKE" so maybe he just likes to act up. Hehe. Thanks B**

> Checked under his tongue last
> night and there was no mark so
> that's good! His wolf teeth are
> ok. My farrier floated his teeth
> last fall and checked them again
> this spring and they are fine. I
> am beginning to think it has
> something to do with misstreatment
> sometime in his past and will have
> to work through it if possible. He
> is a good little guy otherwise. My
> vet is coming out soon and I will
> get him to check his ears and my
> mare's ears also. His name is
> "SPIKE" so maybe he just
> likes to act up. Hehe. Thanks B** Becky I have some training ideas if you want them, They will help with finding the sweet spot in the mouth. I'm glad everthing elce checked out well. Talk later. Cindy

[email protected]

> Thanks Cindy any tips will be
> useful! Thanks B**

Becky I am going on the assumption you know something about horses.You know what a snffle is.Eggbutt,D-ring.O-ring bit is.What style is the ring on your bit.I need to know before we procede. Also can he lunge on a line? and dose he wear a saddle? Do you have time to work every day with this horse. I know you are busy, but when training a horse time is the greatest element.That is partly why people send horses to trainers. Also are you willing to try? Dose he scare you in any way?These are things you need to ask your self. Then we can procede.

Thanks cindy

[email protected]

> Becky I am going on the assumption
> you know something about
> horses.You know what a snffle
> is.Eggbutt,D-ring.O-ring bit
> is.What style is the ring on your
> bit.I need to know before we
> procede. Also can he lunge on a
> line? and dose he wear a saddle?
> Do you have time to work every day
> with this horse. I know you are
> busy, but when training a horse
> time is the greatest element.That
> is partly why people send horses
> to trainers. Also are you willing
> to try? Dose he scare you in any
> way?These are things you need to
> ask your self. Then we can
> procede.

> Thanks cindy

Cindy: His bit is a Western Bit, like a tom thumb with a 1" copper ball in the middle of the joint. He seems to like it. I got him last September from a neighbour who was selling him for someone else. He was hard to catch then but I figured I could work on it. I rode him home from there about 4 miles and he was good all the way. I introduced him to my mare and they got along good so I bought him. We have been on a lot of trail rides and he always behves well. For the last couple of weeks he decided he doesn't want to come in at the same time as my mare and so I put her away and then have to go play the catch game with him. I rented John Lyons tapes and it is working. The first day took over an hour the second about half hour and now about 5-6 min. So it is working.All winter he was good to come in, always stood quietly to put his lead on. But lately he does this head bobbing, really quick short up and down jerks, when I get his bridle on or getting it on and sometimes while grooming outside. He never does it in the pasture, and even that only started about 3 weeks ago, at it's worst He did the head bobbing thing sometimes in the winter also when it was snowing, we thought it was funny at the time but now its annoying. Other times he doesn't do it at all. Sometimes he does it for his dewormer too. I haven't lunged him, they are so quiet we just ride them. I don't have a round pen so it makes it hard, also my mare follows me everywhere around the pasture. But if I put her in the barn for any length of time without him all heck breaks loose. She starts calling him then he gets excited. Thanks B**

> Cindy: His bit is a Western Bit,
> like a tom thumb with a 1"
> copper ball in the middle of the
> joint. He seems to like it. I got
> him last September from a
> neighbour who was selling him for
> someone else. He was hard to catch
> then but I figured I could work on
> it. I rode him home from there
> about 4 miles and he was good all
> the way. I introduced him to my
> mare and they got along good so I
> bought him. We have been on a lot
> of trail rides and he always
> behves well. For the last couple
> of weeks he decided he doesn't
> want to come in at the same time
> as my mare and so I put her away
> and then have to go play the catch
> game with him. I rented John Lyons
> tapes and it is working. The first
> day took over an hour the second
> about half hour and now about 5-6
> min. So it is working.All winter
> he was good to come in, always
> stood quietly to put his lead on.
> But lately he does this head
> bobbing, really quick short up and
> down jerks, when I get his bridle
> on or getting it on and sometimes
> while grooming outside. He never
> does it in the pasture, and even
> that only started about 3 weeks
> ago, at it's worst He did the head
> bobbing thing sometimes in the
> winter also when it was snowing,
> we thought it was funny at the
> time but now its annoying. Other
> times he doesn't do it at all.
> Sometimes he does it for his
> dewormer too. I haven't lunged
> him, they are so quiet we just
> ride them. I don't have a round
> pen so it makes it hard, also my
> mare follows me everywhere around
> the pasture. But if I put her in
> the barn for any length of time
> without him all heck breaks loose.
> She starts calling him then he
> gets excited. Thanks B**

Becky You are so on the right track!!! I am proud of you. What bit did the people use on this guy. Kiddo LOOSE the tomthumb YOU don't know how many horses that style of bit has ruined!!! If the old owners had a bit that worked try it. If not try a snaffle It will take time to correct the habbit of tossing his head but you will be far in advance if you try other bits.Make sure they fit that is so critical.No slop on the corners and they work well. Also do you have LIGHT hands watch and see,be honest with your self on that one. Do you grab at the reins to hang on etc.?? Talk Later cindy!

[email protected]

> Becky You are so on the right
> track!!! I am proud of you. What
> bit did the people use on this
> guy. Kiddo LOOSE the tomthumb YOU
> don't know how many horses that
> style of bit has ruined!!! If the
> old owners had a bit that worked
> try it. If not try a snaffle It
> will take time to correct the
> habbit of tossing his head but you
> will be far in advance if you try
> other bits.Make sure they fit that
> is so critical.No slop on the
> corners and they work well. Also
> do you have LIGHT hands watch and
> see,be honest with your self on
> that one. Do you grab at the reins
> to hang on etc.?? Talk Later
> cindy! Cindy: I am going into town tomorrow and will check out the tack shop. The lady that just opened it has been in the horse business for a lot of years. She works a lot with the local Pony Club. I will take his bridle with me and see what she thinks. Any suggestions as to what time of Snaffle. Also I have been working on the heavy hands and am really improving, we walk most of the time on our trail rides, and only trot for short distances. My hands have really improved. I used to own a 7 yr. old quarter horse who had to be ridden just so, or he would throw you off. I learned a lot from him, but got smart and moved on, before he killed me! Funny thing, I bought that bit new just after I had him and he threw me the first time I used it and I went back to using his other bit and never used it again until I got Spike, because I only have the two bits. Thanks B**

Awsome!!! Ok Becky I would try an O-ring snaffle or a D-ring snaffle.See if she will let you try the bits to see what will work.Both bits are very mild. Remember that,the thicker the mouth piece the easier it is on the mouth.At 6 though he won't need a thick mouth piece.Let me know what happens GOOD LUCK!!! Cindy

[email protected]

> Awsome!!! Ok Becky I would try an
> O-ring snaffle or a D-ring
> snaffle.See if she will let you
> try the bits to see what will
> work.Both bits are very mild.
> Remember that,the thicker the
> mouth piece the easier it is on
> the mouth.At 6 though he won't
> need a thick mouth piece.Let me
> know what happens GOOD LUCK!!!
> Cindy

Hi Cindy: Whew I'm back finally. My computer got zapped and we had to fix it. Works now but really slow. Anyway, I got a new bit at the tack shop. It is a D ring racing Bit. Anyway, I brought it home, brought the horses in and thought I would try it on Spike. I went in his stall and held it up by his mouth and he inhaled it. I was so shocked, he usually has to have a finger in his mouth to get it opened. I thought this must be a mistake, so I went in the house had supper, did the dishes went back out and tried it again, and what do you know he sucked it up again. I haven't had a chance to ride, I have been busy with the fields and other stuff, the bugs are so nasty right now, the only time is really early in the morning or 11:00 at night, but will try this week end some time will let you know if my computer holds up. Later B**

> Hi Cindy: Whew I'm back finally.
> My computer got zapped and we had
> to fix it. Works now but really
> slow. Anyway, I got a new bit at
> the tack shop. It is a D ring
> racing Bit. Anyway, I brought it
> home, brought the horses in and
> thought I would try it on Spike. I
> went in his stall and held it up
> by his mouth and he inhaled it. I
> was so shocked, he usually has to
> have a finger in his mouth to get