No TV

Help Support CattleToday:

Yes. Analog reception is ok. We get one channel good and the other is snowy. The digital signal seems to be a lot more sensitive

I have Dish Network Satellite, there is alot of good programing on it.
If I only had network TV to watch I wouldn't even have a TV.

I quit watching TV many years ago. When I married Van 3 plus years ago, I knew that we would have to have a TV in the house. That means I went about 10 years without watching TV. Now, sometimes I watch something...most times I don't.

You'd be surprised how much better life is without it. I still cringe when the TV comes on...

Alice

We only get 2 channels. Every other Thursday I watch The Office (the other Thurs. I am at work). Aside from that and Vikings games, the TV stays off (unless we are expecting bad weather). I watch TV with the inmates if they are watching something besides that awful fighting where there are no holds barred (kicking, punching etc). I hate that show, but they love it, and I don't care enough to pull rank.

You will get used to no TV faster than you think.

All of the TV signals are supposed to switch to digital sometime soon..... don't remember the specifics of it but they have been advertising it lately. If you have an analog tv then you will have to buy a converter box to be able to pick anything up with rabbit ears.

Angus In Texas":23pihoq7 said:
All of the TV signals are supposed to switch to digital sometime soon..... don't remember the specifics of it but they have been advertising it lately. If you have an analog tv then you will have to buy a converter box to be able to pick anything up with rabbit ears.

I read an ad in the newspaper this morning for Direct TV. It was all about the digital revolution. In the fine print the cost of service from them would go up by $5.95 per month. This policy was government mandated to let the emergency people and first responders have the analog channels, looks to me as it would have been better the other way around there are fewer first responders than us. Looks like $$$$$$ was the driving factor.

We bought a converter from Best Buy. It was something like $400. It takes the antenna signal and converts it for HD digital. We now have more channels than ever and it comes off of the antenna only. Some channels are broadcast in digital and others aren't. We get them all.

I bought an HD converter for my folks and they didn't like it so it is in a box in the back seat of my truck. I was thinking of hooking in on to my television in the bedroom, as it does not get satalite. I have Dish Network for the living room. I heard that if you have satalite you will have to either have an HD compatable set or get a converter box instead of rabbit ears. The one I got was only about 40.00 bucks, I think. Bought it way back in summer thinking it was rabbit ears for my parents.

They still have the gigantic anteane, or however you spell it, on their roof. The last house I had had one of those, too. Do they still even make those anymore?

I want to get a new tele for the living room, flat screen, mounted on the wall, but I am waiting to see the prices go down. I am well regarded as the cheapest person around. Ask my husband!

hurleyjd":2rzu0x36 said:
Angus In Texas":2rzu0x36 said:

I read an ad in the newspaper this morning for Direct TV. It was all about the digital revolution. In the fine print the cost of service from them would go up by $5.95 per month. This policy was government mandated to let the emergency people and first responders have the analog channels, looks to me as it would have been better the other way around there are fewer first responders than us. Looks like $$$$$$ was the driving factor.

This has been in the works for sometime--to give emergency services a complete band without other interference....Why they chose which for which, I don't know--but I do know that the interference free system was definitely needed....

Lammie":149hlf1i said:
I bought an HD converter for my folks and they didn't like it so it is in a box in the back seat of my truck. I was thinking of hooking in on to my television in the bedroom, as it does not get satalite. I have Dish Network for the living room. I heard that if you have satalite you will have to either have an HD compatable set or get a converter box instead of rabbit ears. The one I got was only about 40.00 bucks, I think. Bought it way back in summer thinking it was rabbit ears for my parents.

They still have the gigantic anteane, or however you spell it, on their roof. The last house I had had one of those, too. Do they still even make those anymore?

I want to get a new tele for the living room, flat screen, mounted on the wall, but I am waiting to see the prices go down. I am well regarded as the cheapest person around. Ask my husband!
i just bought a 50in panasonic hi def flatscreen tv for $1527 including shipping.an that was their sale price.the tvs reg price was $1800.an man the pic is nice an clear.im planning on getting another hi def flatscreen as soon as i can.

Alice":2n2d8481 said:
I quit watching TV many years ago. When I married Van 3 plus years ago, I knew that we would have to have a TV in the house. That means I went about 10 years without watching TV. Now, sometimes I watch something...most times I don't.

You'd be surprised how much better life is without it. I still cringe when the TV comes on...

Alice

Same here - don't ads make you feel really weird? When we go to the local pizza joint they have THREE tv's going, usually on different programs - drives me nuts. No wonder the country (world) is getting so messed up.

Went by a friend's house and they had one of those stupid court shows on. Who would DO that? And watching it day after day - ugh

We looked into DishTV HD yesterday. It reads like it is only an added $20.00 per month. Well, after getting all the fine points from them, it is as follows: They will sell you two receivers for $100.00 and then you get that back as a rebate. THEN, they charge you $5.95 a month to lease each of them. That makes the cost $32.00 per month. OR, if you buy your own receiver, then they will still charge you $5.95 for the other one regardless.

Latest posts