no till gardening

Help Support CattleToday:

Ouachita

Reaction score
Anybody here do the no till gardening? I've never tried it. I am letting my main garden plot lay fallow this year. Well, sort of. I've been putting the barnyard on it, lots of organic matter, and letting the chickens scratch and goats eat anything that trys to grow. This is a 15 year established plot. Any opinions on letting a garden lay fallow, say every 7 years? What about no till?

Ouachita, we have been messing with notil/no work gardening for a few years. The greatest improvement in the soil has been from cover crop cocktails. The easiest is to plant something in the fall that will frost/die over winter.Planted wheat but had to kill it before spring planting, used old carpet. We have a small garden that this year we covered with a gray hay tarp. Soaker hoses underneath. We cut holes to plant in. So there is no weeding. I our area we have been real dry. Compared to our neighbors gardens(which burnt up) ours has faired pretty good.We have done some planting into old stock tanks with holes for drainage.Wife is disabled and she still wants to garden.Potatoes planted on top of the soil, covered with straw,several layers, do very nice. And once the vines die, its so easy to harvest. Have tried some corn,not the best, soil stays cool, the peas planted underneath did great.Hope I did't ramble too much, have fun with it.KB

I don't have any motivation to try it due to less work. I don't mind sweat equity at all. I want to hear from folks who do it, and their opinions on how the soil structure/conditions benefit (or not) compared to the roto till/plow/disc method(s) I've been using. I've always done the cover crop in the fall/winter. Thanks for the info

Leaving most of mine fallow this summer also. I have a blight in my ground that kills tomato plants about the time the first fruit tries to ripen. Thought I'd just cover the whole thing with 3 in of aged cowflop and let her sit all summer. Have since shcnged my mind to deciding to rototill it a couple of times and maybe work in some extra leaf mold that i saved!

Cover crop, lots of manure, turn it under works great for me. Added organic matter has enhanced fertility and water holding capacity.

Latest posts