No till drill

Help Support CattleToday:

farmguy

Reaction score
I have been renting a no till drill from the county. Thinking about getting a used one of my own. Any suggestions? 8 or 10 foot would be OK or larger. I plant alfalfa, clover, brome and sorghum sudan Thanks.

a new notill drill will cost you $1500 a foot.so for an 8ft drill your looking at $12,000 10ft would be $15,000.to rent a notill drill here they charge $15ac rent.so if you plant 100 to 300acs a year a notill will pay for its self in 5yrs more or less depending on how meny acs you plant in a year.

I talked my dad in getting one this past
Fall and I did a Ton of research and we
Decided on a 10 foot Great Plains. So far we love it but only planted rye grass and oats. We will no till some millet sometime In April so we will see.

Our local FSA rents an 8 foot Sunflower drill for $7 per acre. A friend bought a drill and rents it to friends/ farmers for $4 per acre. It is also a Sunflower. They do a good job.
Another friend bought a new Great Plains. It is a more expensive drill than the Sunflower and I believe the cost difference is worth to if a person drills a lot.
We mostly drill ryegrass in the fall and sometimes add clover with the small seed attachment.
How many acres I planned to drill would help me decide on whether I bought the upper end drill or a really nice one.

Red Bull Breeder":3ps7wu33 said:
A 10 foot Haybuster is around $25000.00. NRCS rents here for 7 to 9 dollars a acre.
Or you can buy one used for around 6k like I did. The first year I put another 200 in it getting all of the broken abused stuff working right again.

We used to rent the one from our NRCS office, they had 2 of them. The waiting list to use them always screwed up the time frame that I 'wanted" to drill. It also wasn;t as well maintained as mine is.

Latest posts