No Till Drill

Help Support CattleToday:

MissouriExile

Reaction score
My pastures have occasional rocks (fist size and smaller) that keep turning up no matter how many I pick up. There are also some uneven spots and heavy fescue growth existing.
I have an opportunity to use a no till drill to plant some clover in the coming months.
Will such pasture conditions (small rocks and some uneven ground existing heavy grass) cause problems with (or damage) a no till drill?

Thanks
Jon

the uneven ground shouldn't be a problem, nor the heavy grass cover, the drill should eat it up, and possibly even smooth things out in the process. rocks will play heck with the coulters though. could also knock the press wheel brackets out of alignment.

we normally mix fescue and alsac in with fertilizer and broadcast in february. works real well. would save your drill a lot of wear and tear, and also save you on fuel costs.

ROB

ROB":2nfyh32j said:
the uneven ground shouldn't be a problem, nor the heavy grass cover, the drill should eat it up, and possibly even smooth things out in the process. rocks will play heck with the coulters though. could also knock the press wheel brackets out of alignment.

we normally mix fescue and alsac in with fertilizer and broadcast in february. works real well. would save your drill a lot of wear and tear, and also save you on fuel costs.

ROB

Thanks; That's probably what we will do. I'm just looking at all my options.

Jon

Depending on the how thick the fescue is and how much down pressure you have on your no-till coulters, I would imagine though that your not going to get a very good stand. Its either going to not cut through the thick mat of grass or the grass will hairpin and the seed will not get seed to soil contact. We sometimes plant through some of out waterways in our fields with our heavy no-till planter so we don't have to pick it up just to put it down a few feet later. It is rare that anything that is planted in the waterway comes up.

I have gotten a better stand by broad-casting or mixing with fertilizer on a snow or in February. I have used the drill several time not pleased using for clovers or grass. I have the rocks and uneven and steep also.

MissouriExile":2u0bln3o said:
My pastures have occasional rocks (fist size and smaller) that keep turning up no matter how many I pick up. There are also some uneven spots. Will such pasture conditions (small rocks and some uneven ground existing heavy grass) cause problems with (or damage) a no till drill? Thanks Jon

It depends on how fast you drive with the drill... They will ride over rocks at a slow speed, but most of these drills are really intended for hay field - - not rough pastures.
The best no till clover stands I have seen are from grazing the grass down to the ground and then broadcasting the clover seed. Even then you will only get a good catch some years.

Just a thought. Why don't you run a pasture renavator over it now then in Feb. broadcast the seed. It will help in the rough spots and break up the fescue.

r and s peckman":25hdue3l said:
Just a thought. Why don't you run a pasture renavator over it now then in Feb. broadcast the seed. It will help in the rough spots and break up the fescue.

Can you give me an idea of what a pasture renovator is and how it works? Photo?

Jon

Drill should be fine as long as you slow down for the bigger rocks. Like anything you want to plant it before some rain and even if you do not have a good bed prep, the moisture will give you a good seeding. I no-tilled a horrible field in oats last year that was rocky and uneven with some fescues in it. Most of the seeds were on top of the soil. We got the rain and early after seeding and crop came in good. Of course we had irrigation water later in the year, just pick your seeding time wisely.

Good luck.