No Till Drill ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
Looking at 10 to 15 foot wide JD 1750 no till drills with a small seed box. There seems to a selection priced at U$S 15,000 to 22,000. Often located in the mid south.

Is there a better make or model to consider for no till pasture mix and soybeans?
What do you think a good 10' wide JD 1750 is worth?

Can find them at farm auctions a lot of times here anywhere from 8-12,000. I cant justify the cost for a piece of equipment I use once or twice a year so I rent from the co-op.

Stocker Steve":1581ztc6 said:
midTN_Brangusman":1581ztc6 said:
Can find them at farm auctions a lot of times here anywhere from 8-12,000.

Are these fixer uppers?

Is there a width where the price jumps up?

You know how it is at farm auctions, they sell a piece of equipment out of a shed but no one knows anything about them. My neighbor bought a 10 ft used drill for around 6,000. Not sure the brand, it is older and brown. He said I could use it anytime, but I don't like to borrow equipment in fear of something breaking.

M-5":2v4oh0or said:
JD 1750 is not a no till drill , it can be set up as a notill planter if its following a ripper , A lot of them in use here for row crop planting in stubble but most do it on a prepared bed

Thanks for clarifying. I have seen a 1750 but not used one. It has much heavier down springs than my $125 press drill, but not as heavy as some 'no tills". I will have to look at a manual and see what they say for set up.

Stocker Steve":1dj03ydq said:
M-5":1dj03ydq said:
JD 1750 is not a no till drill , it can be set up as a notill planter if its following a ripper , A lot of them in use here for row crop planting in stubble but most do it on a prepared bed

Thanks for clarifying. I have seen a 1750 but not used one. It has much heavier down springs than my $125 press drill, but not as heavy as some 'no tills". I will have to look at a manual and see what they say for set up.

The row spacing on them is typical 30" used to plant pnuts cotton corn and bean predominantly , look for a great plains , or haybuster no till drill . I saw a 6' one on CL last week for 9k 550acres on it

midTN_Brangusman":24yxr8l2 said:
Can find them at farm auctions a lot of times here anywhere from 8-12,000. I cant justify the cost for a piece of equipment I use once or twice a year so I rent from the co-op.
That's what is keeping me from buying one .. except we don't have a co op to rent from ..

Rule of thumb for depth of seed is the soil is 1 times its diameter and all of the no-till drills I have watched plant are deeper than that. Any old grain drill will plant that deep and more. Just drag a harrow behind it to cover the seed if no press wheels are involved. Really need more opinions on this than mine. I use an old model B JD drill for rye grass and I think thing we get a good stand. Also I have had elbon rye left over that was thrown into the sod and it germinated and came up. When seeds fall on the ground and no one there to cover them up comes up each year.

The size of the drill has to be taken in respect of your gate openings. I have an old sod seeder at 12" spacings and it works its way through tufted grass and other rubbish with minimal clogging up, I tow a rubber tire roller behind it and it works well. I also have an old 14 tyne seeder at 6" spacings for prepared ground and grazed and sprayed out stubble and tow the roller behind it, works well as well, it has 3 boxes, large seeds, fertiliser box and small seed box which drops the small seeds onto the broken ground from the tyne and the roller seems to fold enough on top and firm it down.

Each unit has total width of about 9' and I can deal with all my gates.

Ken

I purchased a new Great Plains 1007NT drill about three years ago... probably some of the smartest money I have spent. Great drill that stays calibrated and very good on our Tennessee hills. I would recommend the small seed box as well! The only downfall to the drill is the fact that you won't get it through any 10' gate openings... it can also be a bear towing down a narrow country road.

TN Cattle Man":krhe6ckn said:
I purchased a new Great Plains 1007NT drill about three years ago... probably some of the smartest money I have spent. Great drill that stays calibrated and very good on our Tennessee hills.

What were you doing before?

Stocker Steve":1bmbashv said:
Looked at Great Plains available on Tractor House:

2 1005NT
34 1006NT
0 1007NT

What does this tell me about drill features and cost?
Go to the great plains website and research the various models

Stocker Steve":12t3n1sj said:
TN Cattle Man":12t3n1sj said:
I purchased a new Great Plains 1007NT drill about three years ago... probably some of the smartest money I have spent. Great drill that stays calibrated and very good on our Tennessee hills.

What were you doing before?
Steve, I had an old Hay Buster drill before. I bought it used and it seemed like every time I used it, something was always breaking or never putting the seed out with any sort of consistency. I been down the Co-op rental route before and was never really satisfied (they had a Hay Buster drill as well). We got to the point where we were drilling a good amount of land every year and we also started to do some custom drilling.

I used to have lots of issues with the rented Haybusters from NRCS. I bought a used one and put maybe another 50 bucks into it to get it right. Been using it 5-6 years now with no issues. A bit of maintenence and insuring it is cleaned out properly when it's done being used has taken care of the problem areas I used to have with the used drills.

i rent one near me. this amish guy has it. its called a echelon i think. pretty nice drill. i've never heard of them until i started renting this one.

Latest posts