No till BMR Sorgum Sudan for summer forage ?

Help Support CattleToday:

My seed dealer recommended 13.5 pounds of Sudan grass seed to the acre. According to you guys that's way way to little. There's no way he's right is it? He double checked his literature when I questioned him.

Sounds more like your planting clover not sudan at that rate, but I wouldn't be surprised if it did say 13.5. If your not to sure try 25 or 30 pounds, kind of middle ground, and then adjust from there, but if you go to 50 I think you will like it a lot better.

I triple checked him yesterday. It's $0.87 a pound. He said yes it's Sudan grass. He added saying anything over 15 pounds to the acre would be over kill. I've planted a bunch of sudex over the years. Never Sudan grass. I wonder if we're comparing apples to apples.

It may be cover crop sudan grass. I know my fertilizer guy at growmark only carried cover crop varieties. If its for hay or grazing I would think you would want a sudan grass hybrid like hayking or promax. I know we planted 25-30 lbs and guys that want smaller stems plant up to 100lbs. At that price it sounds like a cheap cover crop or piper variety.

For some that are wondering about the 50 pounds per acre. This is some Pioneer 877F from 2 years ago i'm feeding to my feeder calves, cut at about 5' tall.
8528543477_f8ba9c4fd8_z.jpg

I no till drilled 27 acres after spraying out the sod. Some was improved pasture ground - - that got 30 # of Sorghum Sudan only. Some was new breaking that had been picked for rocks but not plowed - - and got a Sorghum Sudan/oats/Jap millet mix that I had left.

The Sorghum Sudan only stand looks pretty spotty now. There will be 3 or 4 plants in about a 4 to 6 inch span and then nothing for 9 to 18 inches. The ground was damp when I planted it but we have only had 0.3" rain since. Any planting tips here?

sim.-ang.king":30slfo32 said:
Was the seed treated? What depth did you plant it at?
Planted an inch deep.
Do not know if the initial batch was treated - - I will check.
Ran out and finished with another brand that had a green coating on it. It also had better germ...

Yeah it's best to get treated seed if there's plenty of moisture. Is there any hard crust on the rows? Might of needed a rotary hoe ran over if it dried to quick after that rain.

The stand filled it but it is 18" to 24" high and stalled out. Mother nature decided on a cool summer rather than a dry summer here. It has been in the 40 and 50s at night... How many day of heat are needed for a good crop?

Latest posts