No Tail?

Help Support CattleToday:

TN Cattle Man

Reaction score
Was checking cows this afternoon when I spot a new calf on the ground. Went over to check it out and all seemed normal... a big beautiful baldy! Mom is an excellent cow that has given a healthy calf every year for the last 7 years (full mouth cow). Calf stood up and besides the fact that he is an extremely big calf (didn't have scales with me to confirm weight), I noticed that he did not have a tail! I have seen some odd tails before... but this calf had absolutely NO tail. Nothing there to even suggest that a tail should be there... just as smooth as his back.

Has anyone experienced a defect like this before? If so, is there anything that I need to do special for this calf? I confirmed that he is drinking and appears 100% normal other then the tail.

I will take some pictures tomorrow and post.

Brian

Never seen this before myself. Keep watching though, one defect usually means there's more. They tend to run together. :(
Hope not....

branguscowgirl":ao4c9x0g said:
Never seen this before myself. Keep watching though, one defect usually means there's more. They tend to run together. :(
Hope not....
Let's hope not!! Hopefully this is just one of those freak things that happens every now and then.

I would call your local news paper. Have them come out and take pictures. Start a rumor that cows are evolving and will soon rule the world. That should get national attention and put the eco-terrorist at bay

TN Cattle Man":181fchpm said:
branguscowgirl":181fchpm said:
Hope not....
Let's hope not!! Hopefully this is just one of those freak things that happens every now and then.
I hope so too! Please keep us posted. :cboy:

Had one like that several years ago, the cows third calf. 4-7 were all normal.

M5farm":1sfk0l37 said:
http://www.moolf.com/animals/incredible-animal-prosthetics.html

Probably just an isolated birth defect. But if you want to help him fit in like TT said Check the link above .
I think some twine and some duct tape would make a dandy tail! :D

It happens. I have seen it in some cattle, none of my own thank goodness! The value of the calf will be lower, only because they can not chase off flies as well. But he should do just fine!

Had a butcher here tell me that the tails are there, they are just inside the animal. They aren't worth as much at the local markets so everyone keeps them and feeds them out themselves. He gets a few like that, but not that many. Totally ruins the central cuts.

Sizmic

Latest posts