no room in car, so...

Help Support CattleToday:

GMN

Reaction score
Heard this bizarre story on the news, a Dad and his family of 7 were going to the beach, not sure what state this was in, but they only had 5 seatbelts, and 7 people, so he put his 12&13 year old sons in the trunk. He was pulled over on the way there, and arrested, charged with 2 counts of child endangerment, can you believe that? What was he thinking?

GMN

cowboy44":37duroai said:
Back when they had drive in movies and addmission was per head it was many a kid that got in free by getting in the trunk of the car . been there done that

been there...still doing that :lol:

Too each his own. Maybe he only had a 5 minute trip. If he had them in the back of the truck that would be illegal in this state. I'm 33yrs old. My parents put me in the back of a cargo van on long trips when I was a kid. No seats. I had all kinds of room to play back there. Nowadays, They would get a ticket because I wasn't in a booster seat straped in with a belt buckle.

Walt

GMN":2tz3pe6t said:
Heard this bizarre story on the news, a Dad and his family of 7 were going to the beach, not sure what state this was in, but they only had 5 seatbelts, and 7 people, so he put his 12&13 year old sons in the trunk. He was pulled over on the way there, and arrested, charged with 2 counts of child endangerment, can you believe that? What was he thinking?

GMN

The 12 and 13 year old could've stayed home waiting for Dad to come back and pick them up. If it was too far, like overnight, then the FAMILY had no business going to the beach in the first place.

The law enforcement people made a righteous call, in my opinon.

Alice

So it would be better for the state to decide what foster parents these kids should go to. No telling where thier kids are at while they were arrested. Hell a constable in williamson county Texas was just charged for abusing a 15 yearold girl. He'd been abusing her for years. Plead down to soliciting 5 years probation. Expunged from his record after the 5 years. You people keep thinking the Government is gonna make it all good. 6 Kids. Stupid seat belt law. I guess they should have baught a bus. My Mother in-law had 6brothers and sisters. They all crammed in the station wagon whenever they went anywhere.

Walt

Txwalt":lpa0590n said:
So it would be better for the state to decide what foster parents these kids should go to. No telling where thier kids are at while they were arrested. be nice a constable in williamson county Texas was just charged for abusing a 15 yearold girl. He'd been abusing her for years. Plead down to soliciting 5 years probation. Expunged from his record after the 5 years. You people keep thinking the Government is gonna make it all good. 6 Kids. Stupid seat belt law. I guess they should have baught a bus. My Mother in-law had 6brothers and sisters. They all crammed in the station wagon whenever they went anywhere.

Walt

I would imagine the kids are probably with their mother. If I read the post correctly, only the father was arrested. If I'm reading your post correctly, you believe it is ok that the father put 2 kids in the trunk? Is that right?

So how does that compare to eight kids and a couple of Aunts riding in the back of a pick-up....still see that in some parts of the state...DMc

While back some igmo was moveing. No rope,so put the 12 year old on top of the matress to hold it down...of course it caught the wind,went up like a kite and smashed the kid to the pavement..No,don't know how much jail time,yes,kid was killed..

I used to love riding in the back of the pick up when I was little, can't do that now all he!! would break out arrested licenced revocted, and probably imprisoned.

chrisy":3vp05xje said:
I used to love riding in the back of the pick up when I was little, can't do that now all he!! would break out arrested licenced revocted, and probably imprisoned.

A couple of years ago the MO legislature passed a law referred to as the hillbilly exemption. If your only vehicle is a pickup, you can carry people in the back as long as they're buckled in. Other then that it's illegal

dun

dun":17t02czs said:
A couple of years ago the MO legislature passed a law referred to as the hillbilly exemption. If your only vehicle is a pickup, you can carry people in the back as long as they're buckled in. Other then that it's illegal

dun

There arent any seat belts in the back of my truck...trust me..I looked. So, how would a person go about putting seat belts in the truck?
There are are group of kids that go to my school that ride in the back of a truck on an old couch...its weird. But they havent gotten in trouble over it.
I think the officer was correct on that arrest. IF the guy would have gotten hit from behind, the trunk is made to take the impact (CRUNCH like a pop can) the kids would have been severly injured, if not killed. I actually read about a high schooler getting killed exactly that way.

When I was little, LOVED riding in the back of the pickup on hot summer days. Only trick was if PaPa was riding on the passenger side you wanted to be on the side behind Dad since PaPa would chew tobacco and spit out his window so my little brother would get covered by the time to went to the store and back.

And no, we didn't have seat belts in the back, they didn't even have seat belts in the front back then.

Cuz