No planting for awhile

Help Support CattleToday:

iowahawkeyes

Reaction score
Well, the kids didn't have school today, snow day! Can you believe it? It is just a sloppy, windy, snowy mess outside. The cows and calves are not enjoying it either. We've gotten about 6 inches of really wet snow so I guess it'll be awhile before I get any planting done. Usually we are doing field work by now. We haven't done anything yet.

I'm going to start my seedless watermelons and a few longer day punkin varieties when the weather turns. The seedless wm are going to be my experiment for the year. I'll have 25 varieties of punkin, 16 varieties of squash, 13 kinds of gourds, Indian corn, popcorn, watermelons, some tomatoes, green peppers, potatoes, cukes and whatever else sounds fun.

That sounds like a LARGE garden! All those squash and melon plants sure spread all over the place. I've always wanted to try the exotic gourds that make odd decorative shapes...maybe when I retire. I hope just to have a few tomatoes, some lettuce (that mesclun mix stuff, I like it!), a pepper or two. Didn't have a garden last year and I missed it. The year before, the bantams kept uprooting the cucumber plants so I had to redo them several times. I love to garden, just don't have the time, so it becomes a chore, but I'm gonna try again this year.

Latest posts