No more tubing / bottle feeding!

Help Support CattleToday:

farmwriter

Reaction score
A fellow with a dairy cow called us yesterday after he heard about the twins we had born New Year's Day. Said he's been looking for a while for more orphan calves to put on a dairy cow, so he bought the rejected twin born yesterday in addition to the NY orphan! No babies for us to feed tonight, and hopefully the calves will grow out fine for him. I love it when everybody gets what makes them happy, and I am thrilled!!! :banana:

This sounds like a win win situation.

I usually have to go to the sale barn and buy splits for my nurse cow. Buying them from an individual would keep them from being exposed to everything at the barn.

New owner said they both already nursed - even the one we were having to tube! So good to hear. bhb- win/win indeed!

I was wondering how you were making out with second set of twins. Here's hoping that is the last set of the season for you .. :tiphat:

As it usually goes for me, I spoke too soon. We had a first calf heifer deliver tiny but otherwise okay twins this afternoon. We took the smaller one to the barn, and I have to say, a lamb nipple is a wonderful thing. The man who bought the other calves last week mentioned it to me, and I have to thank him big time for that tip! She nursed it like a champ, and I'm so thankful. As small as she is I was terrified of trying to tube her.

sounds like you are on a roll.

quite a few years back we had six sets of twins out of no more than 60 cows in a single season.

pdfangus":opkkvubl said:
sounds like you are on a roll.

quite a few years back we had six sets of twins out of no more than 60 cows in a single season.

It'd be ok with me to get off the roll. We'll have somewhere in the neighborhood of 50 deliveries (we don't have the LH's palpated) this season, and we've had 3 sets of twins from 28 calvings so far.

My new best friend bought himself another nurse cow today, so he came and bought the heifer from our 3rd set of twins. I am about to shed a grateful tear, but I will try not to celebrate too much so as not to jinx myself again.

We only had one set this year, among the first to calve too. Kept the little fart around for a few weeks in the cattle trailer parked in the yard, til another calf got trampled in a windstorm. Nice to have an extra calf around at times, but if you don't have a use for them they're a pain in the ass.

Latest posts