No more hurricanes

Help Support CattleToday:

1982vett":2ni7imh4 said:
Jogeephus":2ni7imh4 said:
Seems Bill Gates has applied for a patent on an idea that will make hurricanes a thing of the past.
If it works it means more global warming.

Yes and a big check for those of us who rely on hurricane systems to bring rain.

peg4x4":2ni7imh4 said:
Hummm~~Any idea what his" plan" is???

As I understand it, his plan is to link huge barges together that will have drain plugs in them that pipe water out of the barge and down several hundred feet into the ocean. These barges will be linked together similar to the buoys they use in the swimming pools during swim meets that disperse the waves. The theory is plausible but I don't think Bill has ever seen the size of a hurricane so I doubt the scale is obtainable.

Insurance companies would pay him to put this up in front of a storm. I assume his payment would be based off the perceived savings from the storm. This would be quite interesting in many respects. Sounds like a good bailout plan for lawyers.

Did it ever occur to him that he's screwing with the natural balance of things??? This sounds like some sort of Rube Goldberg device. Cue the music!

Lammie":of9f54ln said:
Did it ever occur to him that he's screwing with the natural balance of things??? This sounds like some sort of Rube Goldberg device. Cue the music!

Some did say that by piping the hot water to the lower part of the ocean it could change the currents.

I'm wondering if history isn't just repeating itself. Remember we were going to harness the mighty Mississippi and make it go where we wanted it to go. This has worked out pretty good cepting about 3 or 4 weeks out of the year. ;-)

Jogeephus":302ev24t said:
Seems Bill Gates has applied for a patent on an idea that will make hurricanes a thing of the past.

How many people died in Katrina?

Five U.S. Patent and Trade Office patent applications, made public on July 9, propose slowing hurricanes by pumping cold, deep-ocean water in their paths from barges. If issued, the patents offer 18 years of legal rights to the idea for Gates and co-inventors, including climate scientist Ken Caldeira of the Carnegie Institution of Washington.

Hurricanes, most famously demonstrated by the deadly intensification of Hurricane Katrina before its landfall in 2005, draw strength from warm waters on the ocean's surface. The patents describe a system for strategically placing turbine-equipped barges in the path of storms to chill sea surfaces with cold water pumped from the depths.

http://www.usatoday.com/weather/researc ... htm?csp=34

When a hurricane hits it ain't the wind that kills folks....it's "what's in the wind" that gets you....Flying glass, Chevy's, trees, tugboats and stuff.

TexasBred":1fb6zxq2 said:
When a hurricane hits it ain't the wind that kills folks....it's "what's in the wind" that gets you....Flying glass, Chevy's, trees, tugboats and stuff.
Yep. Them tugboats are especially dangerous when they get to flying through the air.

HS, thanks for the post but this is different than what they had on the TV news. They had a guy showing a small scale model of what they were talking about. This may have been the Green Version cause it was only powered by gravity. The barges would be like large sinks sitting on top of the water with a drain tube in them. When water splashed into the "sink" it would run out the bottom of the sink since the sink was above the water line. I don't know which one he is actually patenting - possibly both. But I seriously doubt you could count on electrity to run turbines. I also think the scale of something like this would be so tremendous it wouldn't be feasible.

Jogeephus":1zpsegcy said:
HS, thanks for the post but this is different than what they had on the TV news. They had a guy showing a small scale model of what they were talking about. This may have been the Green Version cause it was only powered by gravity. The barges would be like large sinks sitting on top of the water with a drain tube in them. When water splashed into the "sink" it would run out the bottom of the sink since the sink was above the water line. I don't know which one he is actually patenting - possibly both. But I seriously doubt you could count on electrity to run turbines. I also think the scale of something like this would be so tremendous it wouldn't be feasible.
Sounds like the perfect government project for the type of government we have today.

1982vett":19ayexkq said:
Jogeephus":19ayexkq said:
Sounds like the perfect government project for the type of government we have today.

I don't know of anyone who has ever accused Mr. Gates of being stupid. ;-) :lol2:

Could employ a lot of welders and get the steel and metal manufacturers on their feet. Heck, once built it may also give us some good potential fishing platforms while we are all sitting around waiting on the mailman. :banana:

He's got 50 some billion, let him use it. Doubt that would happen unless the government matched 100 to 1.
But remember, we can't drill for oil out their because it spoils the view and spoils the environment. What would this "contraption" look like? :lol:

Latest posts