No More Baseball

Help Support CattleToday:

randiliana

Reaction score
At school that is. My son came home tonight and informed us that they are no longer allowed to play baseball at school :shock: . Pretty soon they will have that place so 'safe' that the kids won't even be allowed to have recess anymore.......

man that sucks.no boots or baseball at school.when i went to school i wore either cowboy boots or work boots.an i always wore my cap.

Yep, can't take the chance that a kid will get hurt!! But in the process they are taking away all the FUN. Already they cannot play floor hockey, now baseball, not sure what is next. I think here they can still wear cowboy boots, I know there was problems when I was in school, but that was because they had a tendancy to streak the floors, and caused more work for the janitors.

Farmgirl, that is probably next, only slippers allowed as well......

At my older sons school they can't wear shoes on the gym floor.
Oh and as of last week........they are not allowed to play socker. Some kid got his leg kick and had a bad Tib/ Fib fracture, ouch.

Geez. Keeps going like this and makes one question the purpose of sending kids to school anymore. Can't socialize and interact and you eliminate the purpose of public schools. :cowboy:

Kids were not allowed to play tag at my son's school. Every time some kid got hurt doing something, they banned whatever it was. I don't think that the kids were supposed to touch one another. I can't understand it. In fact, there was no recess at William's last elementary school. They used the time to study for the TAKS.

And we wonder why kids get fat...

I had three recesses when I was in elementary school. One before, mid morning, after lunch and that didn't unclude PE. Plus, if you rode the bus, you were outside from 2:30 until three if you got out at 2:30. We went out rain, cold, wind, whatever. Those teachers wanted us out. I don't see how you can expect a seven year old kid to pay attention all day when the weather's nice and they can't get out. Missing recess meant that you were sick or in trouble.

around here they have to much sports anyways,they dont have time for homework cause they are gone everynight playing something,they have a golf team but i think its mainly for the teachers to go golfing during school hours,bus has more teachers then kids

cowwrangler":32i71efn said:
around here they have to much sports anyways,they dont have time for homework cause they are gone everynight playing something,they have a golf team but i think its mainly for the teachers to go golfing during school hours,bus has more teachers then kids

At the school where I work there are two golf coaches and our team consists of one player. That means that one of the coaches have to be out with this one player every time he goes to a match. We also built a three hole golf course for that one player. And he ain't Tiger Woods, either.

Meanwhile, I have been buying spare notebook paper myself because the school is broke.

Glad we got our priorities straight.

My sons school is the same. No football at lunch, no playing tag for the younger kids. They've rebuilt the playground three times in the last ten years because the old ones weren't safe. Next the kids will be required to wear bubble wrap when they go out for recess. Yes sir, we're going to keep those kids safe and healthy.

Schools are afraid of any liability issues. My older son broke his arm on a piece of school playground equipment but I didn't expect the school to remove it because of that. I just expected him to be more careful.

I blame a lot of this on parents. They are so afraid that their kids are going to get hurt that they want to remove all traces of things that might present any danger, along with making sure that every little girl gets to be a cheerleader and that every kid gets a trophy no matter how badly their team lost.

I can remember the school playground when I was a kid. Swings with wooden seats so that you could stand on them, monkey bars! Real monkey bars made of metal! Big, tall metal slides with no sides on them. A baseball diamond where teachers would get with kids and actually play games, real trees that we could climb and dirt, wonderful dirt, that crusted on our sweaty, happy selves cause we played so hard. If you skinned your knee, you went on with it.

I don't honestly recall anyone having an allergic reaction or breaking a bone. The only broken bone I can remember was on a kid who was in a wheelchair because he had brittle bones and he was popping wheelies and broke his arm.

When I was young having a cast on your arm was almost like a badge of honor. :lol:

There are schools now that have a NO TOUCHING policy from pre K and up. Not hugs,no high fives not even a hand shake..Nothing..

I think they are actually debilitating the children by not learning that actions have consequences, how will they ever learn and cope in the real world later if they are not taught at a young age.. :?

That's too bad Randi, hopefully you can get him in to an extracurricular baseball league..Team sports are really good for all children.

What a shame, with cut backs at the schools and the liability insurance ,it is a no win situation sometimes.. :(

hillsdown":2qi3m4j4 said:
There are schools now that have a NO TOUCHING policy from pre K and up. Not hugs,no high fives not even a hand shake..Nothing..

I think they are actually debilitating the children by not learning that actions have consequences, how will they ever learn and cope in the real world later if they are not taught at a young age.. :?

That's too bad Randi, hopefully you can get him in to an extracurricular baseball league..Team sports are really good for all children.

What a shame, with cut backs at the schools and the liability insurance ,it is a no win situation sometimes.. :(

I agree about the touching thing being a shame. The thing it does to younge kids is that it prevents them from knowing the difference between healthy and unhealthy touching.

If all touching is off, then it sends a message that all touching is bad and that's not true. Especially with younger kids, you need to hug them sometimes, or pat them on the back. Older kids need to know about the social value of handshaking. Getting a pat on the back for a good job isnt' a bad thing.

hillsdown":k4qys07n said:

It is too bad. People have to realize that stuff happens. We can't live in a bubble, and bad things are going to happen. I don't think that taking away sports, touching or whatever is the way to go. And, you are right we are debilitating children by taking this stuff away.

He won't be in baseball, but he plays volleyball and badminton (so far those are still there), and normally would play hockey, except that there just weren't enough kids last winter.

randiliana":x1er5x7h said:
hillsdown":x1er5x7h said:

It is too bad. People have to realize that stuff happens. We can't live in a bubble, and bad things are going to happen. I don't think that taking away sports, touching or whatever is the way to go. And, you are right we are debilitating children by taking this stuff away.

He won't be in baseball, but he plays volleyball and badminton (so far those are still there), and normally would play hockey, except that there just weren't enough kids last winter.

They think baseball is more dangerous than hockey? Wow! By the way, I got a bloody nose playing volleyball once and got bit by a dog playing badminton when I was a kid. Guess I'm lucky to be alive, but sometimes ya just gotta stare danger in the face and overcome your fears. I still have the occasional nightmare, but I'm a better man for it I suppose.

VanC":bxq76uch said:
They think baseball is more dangerous than hockey? Wow! By the way, I got a bloody nose playing volleyball once and got bit by a dog playing badminton when I was a kid. Guess I'm lucky to be alive, but sometimes ya just gotta stare danger in the face and overcome your fears. I still have the occasional nightmare, but I'm a better man for it I suppose.

No, no, the hockey is an out of school activity. Not in school ;-) they already shut that down..... I broke my kneecap playing broomball....

I think the schools need to get back to teaching, and not trying to set all these silly stupid rules. The thing that irked me when my kids were in grade school, no home treats, because one person got sick in like 40 years, so got to stop doing that.(Except for the school carnival where they rely on people to make home treats so they can make money selling them) No Christmas songs sung at Christmas concerts, because hey we can't offend the 1-2 who do not celebrate Christmas (they could just keep their kids home that day)

Use to be recess was a big deal, played outside for about 1.5 hours a day at school, ran had fun, yah, we got hurt sometimes, but thats just part of being a kid. Now the schools want these kids to be pretty much immobile, not to get hurt, but at the same time they preach eat healthy, and exercise. Newsflash, can't preach it both ways.

I think over the years the schools have been allowed to just do more and more non learning stuff. I about had a cow a few years back when I got this snotty letter from this hygienist at my sons school, saying how my son had discolored teeth and had cavities. I had just taken him to the dentist a week before, and he had no cavities. I told her this, and she was like well , I must have made a mistake, I just can't see how, its the schools business on my kids dental visits.If they spent less time doing all this stuff, and more time teaching, maybe the kids could actually learn more. i got my kids' dental visits, and doctors visits covered, I surely don't need the school chirping in on that.

At the High School they put some much pressure on the kids in 9th grade, to decide hey what do you all want to do with the rest of your lives? They are 14 years old, how would they know yet? Yet they spend countless hours having meetings and seminars, when they should be teaching and learning.

Then there is the cell phone issue, they take away any cell phone, and the parents have to come to school and get it, even if the call was a emergency. I think the schools preach one thing, but then turn around and treat the kids like babies. Common sense rules in most of these issues.

GMN

Latest posts