No More Baseball

Help Support CattleToday:

GMN":2ue2gjbe said:
I think the schools need to get back to teaching, and not trying to set all these silly stupid rules. The thing that irked me when my kids were in grade school, no home treats, because one person got sick in like 40 years, so got to stop doing that.(Except for the school carnival where they rely on people to make home treats so they can make money selling them) No Christmas songs sung at Christmas concerts, because hey we can't offend the 1-2 who do not celebrate Christmas (they could just keep their kids home that day)

Use to be recess was a big deal, played outside for about 1.5 hours a day at school, ran had fun, yah, we got hurt sometimes, but thats just part of being a kid. Now the schools want these kids to be pretty much immobile, not to get hurt, but at the same time they preach eat healthy, and exercise. Newsflash, can't preach it both ways.

I think over the years the schools have been allowed to just do more and more non learning stuff. I about had a cow a few years back when I got this snotty letter from this hygienist at my sons school, saying how my son had discolored teeth and had cavities. I had just taken him to the dentist a week before, and he had no cavities. I told her this, and she was like well , I must have made a mistake, I just can't see how, its the schools business on my kids dental visits.If they spent less time doing all this stuff, and more time teaching, maybe the kids could actually learn more. i got my kids' dental visits, and doctors visits covered, I surely don't need the school chirping in on that.

At the High School they put some much pressure on the kids in 9th grade, to decide hey what do you all want to do with the rest of your lives? They are 14 years old, how would they know yet? Yet they spend countless hours having meetings and seminars, when they should be teaching and learning.

Then there is the cell phone issue, they take away any cell phone, and the parents have to come to school and get it, even if the call was a emergency. I think the schools preach one thing, but then turn around and treat the kids like babies. Common sense rules in most of these issues.

GMN
I am happy to say that you make some very good and intelligent points. IMHO.

GMN, I agree with you whole heartedly on every point except the cell phone thing. It isn't that the kids have them, it's that they are so rude about using them. Like a lot of other people we see with phones ever present, they make calls and talk during class, text-cheat on exams, ignore lessons, take lude pics of themselves and send them around...

And the parents do come and get them and they get angry because the school took them away. It sends the message to the kids that they can just run to Mama when something goes wrong. Of course, that's always been a problem with some people and it always will be. We are treading the waters of a new electronic age where few have been before and it's uncharted for the most part.

Personally, my 8th grader has a cell phone which stays at home during the day because his school has a zero tolerance policy about them.

I'd kill him if he took it and it was taken up. I'd jerk a knot in his tail. And he knows it. He knows what I know. There is NOTHING the school can do to him that can even TOUCH what I can do to him.

Now, if only other parents felt like this.

Lammie":22x00850 said:
GMN, I agree with you whole heartedly on every point except the cell phone thing. It isn't that the kids have them, it's that they are so rude about using them. Like a lot of other people we see with phones ever present, they make calls and talk during class, text-cheat on exams, ignore lessons, take lude pics of themselves and send them around...

And the parents do come and get them and they get angry because the school took them away. It sends the message to the kids that they can just run to Mama when something goes wrong. Of course, that's always been a problem with some people and it always will be. We are treading the waters of a new electronic age where few have been before and it's uncharted for the most part.

Personally, my 8th grader has a cell phone which stays at home during the day because his school has a zero tolerance policy about them.

I'd kill him if he took it and it was taken up. I'd jerk a knot in his tail. And he knows it. He knows what I know. There is NOTHING the school can do to him that can even TOUCH what I can do to him.

Now, if only other parents felt like this.

Oh i do feel like this, I told my son if he misuses his phone at school and I have to make a special trip to town, his butt is mine!!! He knows right from wrong, and I do trust him to follow the rules. His phone was purchased by his Grandmother, and at the time, she asked if it was OK to buy him one, I wasn't really even very into the idea, but even I can see that it does have its advantages, for after school activities, etc...

This reminds me of a story I heard on the news about a Dad who got his daughter a cell phone, then he got the bill the next month, $5,000 in text messaging, they said the Dad took a hammer and crushed the phone into peices, and told his daughter the next time she would have a phone, is when she was on her own, and responsible for her own bills. This I think is ridiculus, can U imagine, having a bill that high?

GMN

The issue is upsetting as a whole. :mad:

If they would have had the no pass no play law as it is written today I would have taken fundamentals of math versus alegebra I & II, trig, general physical science versus biology or chemistry etc. The way it is now written, if you are failing one class for one six week period, you are out of sports. That gives anyone teacher total control of your destiny. Many of them hate athletics.

Athletics was a sideline to my education that I thoroughly enjoyed. Under the current regulations, I would have missed out events my Junior year. The coach and my parents gave me a stern talking to as it was. I made a B+ the second six weeks and passed the tri-mester. That would not have mattered. This is not school rules but state law here.

It isn't that big of a deal, BHB. If you are on the team, you WILL pass and you WILL play. The coaches make durn sure of it. Teachers are under constant pressure to pass athletes that are failing from coaches and administration. No one here can make any lower than a fifty anyway, and I have students that are failing making grades like 14. 14!!!! I say give that kid his grade he earned and send that to the parents in the mail.

But getting back to NPNP, if a kid has a 68 it is one thing. If a kid has a 58, then that's where the dishonesty kicks in.

I'd have been in trouble a couple of times myself except that 60 was passing in those days. I was a horrible math student.

if they had the exit tests like they do now to grad.id failed an had to quit school.because i dont know all that algerbra crapp.

bigbull338":1hz8577n said:
if they had the exit tests like they do now to grad.id failed an had to quit school.because i dont know all that algerbra crapp.

Amen, brother. I was able to pull off a good average when I was a junior and senior because we only had to take two years of math to graduate. Now you have to have all four years to get enough credits. I'd have died.

They banned the cell phones at my son's school also and I'm fine with that. The majority of the kids get there on the school bus. The bus driver has a phone. The kids that walk to school walk two blocks at most, as it's in a small village. Along with computers, smart screens and all the other modern marvels, the school has ----telephones ! If the kids want to go to a friends house after school they have to call home first and are welcome to use the school phones. As far as I can tell, school life goes on quit well without the kids having cell phones, and Lammie I think you'd agree if it wasn't for that damn texting it might be another story.

My son's cell phone is fixed to where he can't text anyone and no one but me can text him. That solves that. Now, if some of these other parents had the common sense to do the same... I seldom if ever text him. He takes his phone to school if he has after school events or tournaments so that he can call me when he's done. Other than that, the phone stays off and in his locker.

If he gets it taken up then he's out a phone until he can get another one.

This was agreed upon ahead of time.

Texting at school is a major major issue.

Lammie":3lxkpw9z said:
My son's cell phone is fixed to where he can't text anyone and no one but me can text him. That solves that. Now, if some of these other parents had the common sense to do the same... I seldom if ever text him. He takes his phone to school if he has after school events or tournaments so that he can call me when he's done. Other than that, the phone stays off and in his locker.

If he gets it taken up then he's out a phone until he can get another one.

This was agreed upon ahead of time.

Texting at school is a major major issue.
At our school if you get caught with a phone it is taken and put in the principals office. The first time they give it back at the end of the day and after the first time you parents have to pick it up. But some of the teachers just take it and put it in their desks...and one has been known to run your phone bill up if she sees it in her class. :lol:

iPods and other mp3 players are also banned because people kept getting caught cheating with them.

These so called "professionals" that are making the rules for our children, were they the nerds in school or what? Playing sports and a little roughhousing around didnt seem to hurt me or my friends, and from reading on this forum I dont think it hurt any or many of the people on here, yall all seem pretty good to me

Latest posts