No more American made wire

Help Support CattleToday:

hillrancher

Reaction score
After using all my extra wire and fencing supplies went to purchase some more wire, ask for American made ( Red Brand ) was informed the only American made would be found was old stock somewhere there was no more American made steel. Bought New Zealand made. It is like stretching an old tire will not straighten out when bent will break.
Is this true or was it a pitch to sell what was on hand?

I don't know if it's true or not. The local Lowes store has started selling wire and panels and stuff. They have a big inventory of Red Brand but I haven't bought any or looked at the labels to see where it was made.

I looked at a few rolls of red brand I just got last week and it is American made. But if you look at NAFTA what is American made?

hillrancher":2s1gx20l said:
After using all my extra wire and fencing supplies went to purchase some more wire, ask for American made ( Red Brand ) was informed the only American made would be found was old stock somewhere there was no more American made steel. Bought New Zealand made. It is like stretching an old tire will not straighten out when bent will break.
Is this true or was it a pitch to sell what was on hand?
I beleive it was a sales pitch
Oklahoma steel wire is made in Oklahoma, Bekaert is still made in Arkansas

I just bought some bekaert wire that isn't gaucho it is a 14 ga with a higher break strentgh than 12 1/2 ga and a class III galvanization and was only $49.50 per roll

We are gonna try it and see how we like it

I prefer the Oklahoma steel wire over the red brand it seems the Red Brand has gotten softer the last few yrs

i havent bought any wire in a while.so i dont know if you can still get american made wire round here or not.

We only use CF & I barb wire. Made in Pueblo, CO., by Davis Wire Co. Davis bought out CF & I several years ago. Our fence guy swears by it! Is 12.5 guage and 2 point. It stretches as tight as a guitar string and you can play a tune on the fence!

Last pallet of 32 rolls we bought last month ran $63. a roll.

A fence is too expensive to put up to use inadequate quality wire.

Don't know where you buy yours, but we buy ours at Owens Supply in either Wellington or Childress, TX.

I didn't know the Red Brand has gotten softer over the years or I would have gotten something different. I bet I can sell it for $5 cheaper then the stores and make some money off it and get a different brand.

So what brand of hi tinsel smooth should I get?

mobgrazer":385lu61m said:
I didn't know the Red Brand has gotten softer over the years or I would have gotten something different. I bet I can sell it for $5 cheaper then the stores and make some money off it and get a different brand.

So what brand of hi tinsel smooth should I get?

I'm not shilling, but these guys explain their products as well as any seller.
http://kencove.com/ They have several kinds of hi tensile.

And while we're stringing that non-American made wire, we can eat a non-American Hershey's Peppermint Patty.

They just announced that they were closing the American manufacturing plant and moving it to Mexico.

Another 300 jobs bites the dust......

grannysoo":2jjbq3n2 said:
And while we're stringing that non-American made wire, we can eat a non-American Hershey's Peppermint Patty.

They just announced that they were closing the American manufacturing plant and moving it to Mexico.

Hershey? You must be kidding. :mad: :help: I wish you were kidding.

john250":1fsxi1e7 said:
grannysoo":1fsxi1e7 said:

Hershey? You must be kidding. :mad: :help: I wish you were kidding.

I wish I were kidding too, but here ya go.........

http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financia ... FDTH81.htm

Angus Cowman":1s19sn7o said:
I prefer the Oklahoma steel wire over the red brand

Me too. The last cross fence was 6 strand Oklahoma. 1700 feet. It remains taught.

Latest posts