No improvement on joint

Help Support CattleToday:

colleen

Reaction score
Has anyone had a cow or calf with an infection that is in the bone? If so did it get better and how long did it take? Any info would be appreciated. Thank you.

Had a cow that had foot rot and it settled in the joint capsule. We treated her for 6 months with a little improvement then back down hill again. Took until the slaughter house finished for her to get better.

The venom probably settled and now you have some serious toxins in there. It could take a while for the body to naturally decay it all.

Once the infection settles into a joint, it is very, very hard, to treat. There is little to no blood flow into a joint, so the medications do not get into it to help clear it up. In the case of foot rot, you can remove the infected claw (at the joint). But that doesn't work for other joints. A cow can get around on one claw, can't so well if you were to remove it at the knee ;-) .

I have sucessfully treated joint ill cases, in baby calves. Takes very high doses of penicillin, and at least 3 doses. But you have to catch it early, or chances are that you won't succeed.

randiliana":eg8thapp said:
Once the infection settles into a joint, it is very, very hard, to treat. There is little to no blood flow into a joint, so the medications do not get into it to help clear it up. In the case of foot rot, you can remove the infected claw (at the joint). But that doesn't work for other joints. A cow can get around on one claw, can't so well if you were to remove it at the knee ;-) .

I have sucessfully treated joint ill cases, in baby calves. Takes very high doses of penicillin, and at least 3 doses. But you have to catch it early, or chances are that you won't succeed.

I had one this year that I treated numerous times and even had her to the vet. He said she would lose her hoof. The whole thing came off and the vet said it would not grow back. She had nothing but a stump there for a leg. It was on her back. She hopped around on three legs for three months while I let the antibiotics wear off and fed her good. She made some good hamburger.

Yeah thats exactly what the vet said but I was hoping someone had one get better eventually. The vet did the thing where he injected a special solution in the joint which hopefully is going to fuse those little bones together in that claw. Supposedly it forms a new piece of bone between them which keeps them from jarring together causing pain. He told us about removing the claw but this calf isnt worth as much as that would cost and then there is infection to fight afterwards. We are gonna give it a few more weeks but it is really swollen and the vet said as long as he dosnt set it down it dosnt hurt. lol Soo he lays alot, he grazes a little. He hops really good on one front leg! He eats feed that we put bute(?) paste in once a day. He is still on his momma so thats good. Thanks very much for the info. I really appreciate it. This is strictly for me. I dont want him to suffer anymore than need be, but I want to give him a chance if there is one. Vet is coming this weekend and what happens is gonna be up to my husband, but I like reassurance from others, that its the right thing. I guess you could say Its a woman thing..

Latest posts