no hair around eye? pic inside

Help Support CattleToday:

Nickos

Reaction score
i have a few cows that are missing some hair around an eye. ive not seen this before. any thoughts on what i have going on here?

iWNM1.jpg

thanks guys

Black and Good":2ds7uksr said:
I've got a few with the same thing. Should it be treated? If so, how do you treat it?
Arond the eye is tricky to treat but any of the fungicidal foot sprays or monostat type deals will work. Just remember that you cna get it from them too. Wash your hands real well after treating it

Nickos":2igcbojq said:
i have a few cows that are missing some hair around an eye. ive not seen this before. any thoughts on what i have going on here?

iWNM1.jpg

thanks guys

this time of year i always thought it was mange.

Looks like lice to me. Try a pour on and wet those spots with it. If it is mange it will work for that also.

Pretty classic ringworm. Make sure you have good nutrition and consider pouring for lice as sometimes the extra rubbing they do because of the lice helps it spread faster. Then walk away, benign neglect, this too shall pass.

cow pollinater":17v86mxx said:
Put out some mineral. It's usually only a problem when nutrition is poor.
im pretty good about minerals, i cant name the details off hand but its a blend high in copper and selenium
i buy by the pallet and it doesnt last long, they get about 450lbs a week

redcowsrule33":1vwpyc50 said:
Pretty classic ringworm. Make sure you have good nutrition and consider pouring for lice as sometimes the extra rubbing they do because of the lice helps it spread faster. Then walk away, benign neglect, this too shall pass.
why is it only by their eyes though?
im calving now, i suppose i could do a pour on after they calve and leave the barn with their new babies