No good deed goes unpunished

Help Support CattleToday:

I try to help others and go out of my way to do it. Its kinda like that christmas song reba done. you never know if your being tested.

M5farm":367o3hzd said:
I try to help others and go out of my way to do it. Its kinda like that christmas song reba done. you never know if your being tested.

My ex MIL tested me, the grade I verbally gave her started with a "F"!

M5farm":30ww56vy said:

I look for people who need a hand. Now the homeless guy with the sign at the freeway off ramp.... well not so much, although some times I feel a little bit of guilt driving by because I don't know the story there. But legitimate ones that I can help, I do it.

Dave":2qrmhjkk said:
M5farm":2qrmhjkk said:

I look for people who need a hand. Now the homeless guy with the sign at the freeway off ramp.... well not so much, although some times I feel a little bit of guilt driving by because I don't know the story there. But legitimate ones that I can help, I do it.

cardboard Sign reads " homeless war vet with kids need food. God bless" how many would appreciate a bag of burgers, how many would toss them hoping for cash.

Alan":2i4f81ta said:
Dave":2i4f81ta said:
M5farm":2i4f81ta said:

cardboard Sign reads " homeless war vet with kids need food. God bless" how many would appreciate a bag of burgers, how many would toss them hoping for cash.
I pay attention to what is going own and you can pretty much tell the homeless that aren't panhandling. I seen the guy your talking about throw away food the was given and seen one one time put his sign in an escalde and drive off.

cardboard Sign reads " homeless war vet with kids need food. God bless" how many would appreciate a bag of burgers, how many would toss them hoping for cash.[/quote]
I pay attention to what is going own and you can pretty much tell the homeless that aren't panhandling. I seen the guy your talking about throw away food the was given and seen one one time put his sign in an escalde and drive off.[/quote]

Daughter was working in an outlet store next to I-5. A couple would park a newer Buick in their lot and walk over to the freeway with their signs. She put a note on their window saying they couldn't park there.
I look at their shoes. Homeless people in this area aren't going to have nice clean shoes. Adn some person just panhandling will probably wear comfortable shoes.
About a year or two ago there was a guy standing on the off ramp where I get off the freeway. His sign said that he was a carpenter hadn't worked in a year and wanted a job. His wife was with him and her body language said that she really didn't want to be there. They were only there one day. He must have found a job. Had he been there the next day I would have put him to work for a day or two.

Stories from both angles.
I was moving some round bales one day and a neighbor with not a great reputation stopped and asked if I would sell him a round bale for his horse. I told him I did not sell hay, but I paid 12 dollars for those bales and if he really needed one and if 12 was ok, I would sell him one. He said that was great and asked me to put it in the pickup. After I dropped it in, he handed me rolled tight bills and thanked me again. His kids were with him, so I did not check the money in front of them. Later, I unrolled the money and it was a 5 dollar bill and 2 ones, for a total of 7 dollars. I would not have embarrassed him in front of his kids for 5 dollars.
I stopped at a Jack in the Box at 4am on my way to an airport and a man stopped me and asked me for money to eat. I opened the door and asked him to come with me and at the counter I told him to order any combo he wanted, largest size. He was uncomfortable and finally ordered a biscuit and quickly left. He was not actually hungry. The lady at the counter told me he just wanted money.
A man asked Dad if he could cut some logs "on the shares" on our place. Dad made a deal with him. He cut some and did not pay us and did not come back. He and his wife lived in a trailer on a land "wheeler, dealer's" place a couple miles from our house. I knew he was a heavy drinker and they had no money. Dad cut some logs and drug them up, and one evening, I stopped at this guy's trailer to see if he wanted to load and haul them to the mill, with us paying the fuel, in order to pay for the logs he had cut. He was in bed and his wife said he was having heart trouble. The trailer had holes in the ceiling and floor and was freezing. She said they were being charged a fortune by the owner to live in the junk trailer and they couldn't pay it. They did not know what to do.
My cousin had just gotten married and moved out of the big, older home, on a farm I had bought a few years earlier. I told them if they wanted, they could move in immediately, and we could work out some sort of deal on log cutting on our farm to pay for the rent, when he got able. They could cut all the wood for the heat that they wanted from our farm for free. They could not believe the offer and were afraid I would need the house and they would have to leave and not have any place to live. I told them I work on the road, live with my folks, and was not home enough to maintain a house for a few nights now and then. They were ecstatic and moved right in. The man passed away, in bed, in the house, a few months ago after his lungs gave out and also cancer had riddled him.
Between the day they moved in and the day he passed away, he quit drinking and smoking, he got saved, he became a preacher, he cut logs off our place and many other farms within 15 miles, put their daughter through nursing school so she is now a registered nurse, helped his son get a good logging career, helped his wife get enough education that she became the manager at a local nursing home until a stroke caused her to retire, was a wizard at making woodworking crafts and with a welder and machinery, was an outstanding neighbor to all and to our family, and he and his wife became true and trusted friends. He worked incredibly hard and his body wore out, at way too young of an age. On his deathbed, I was fortunate enough to have been there with his family and tell him how proud I was of him and how thankful I was that he and I were friends. A few hours later, he was gone. They lived in the house 24 years and his wife will live there as long as she wants to do so.
We all have stories of good and bad things, but whenever I have an opportunity to help someone, if there is any doubt in my mind, I think of this man and woman and how there was not any good that I could predict by my making them the offer of the home, but it was not my place to make that judgement. For some reason, I was fortunate enough to have been able to make the offer and I will forever be grateful to have been given that opportuntity.

jedstivers":qakyiu04 said:
Almost the same thing with deer hunters. I have a few places that are ok but just nothing great to hunt. I let a few people that have no where else to hunt have them and in no time they are trying to lease it from me and keep everyone else off.
Had one place that had a old stand put up 20 years ago by another man, fella I was letting hunt up there decided that was his stand. It was about to fall down but had a metal frame, another man ask me if he could get it and move it. I said that's fine it's no good like it is, anyway fella that was using it starts calling the law and complaining to me and just won't let it go. Just almost made me tell everyone to clear out.

I had a place I hunted for years and let some of my friends hunt it with me. It was all good for years. One year I had taken a fellow hunting a few times. I put him in " Ray's" blind a couple of hunts. Word got back to Ol Ray and he started complaining enough that I reminded him it was my place and they were all my guests. When the nonsense continued I borrowed a big 10 pt rack one day and took a picture of my guest with his kill to " show off!". Ol Ray bought the prank so hard he picked up his feeder that day! He never quite saw the humor in that buck rack the way I did! I didn't hear no more whining on who hunted which blind after that prank!

stocky":320dx8e9 said:
Thought I was doing something helpful and have spent the last couple of days in a hornets nest. I have a hillside with a couple of hundred scattered hardwood trees that were not good enough for logs. They spaced real good for lightning attractors for a cattle death trap. I was going to clear it, but decided to cut rings and deaden the trees last year and people could have them for wood this winter.
I told 3 neighbors that they could come in and cut all the wood they needed for their homes this winter for no charge, just pile the brush. Today has been a nightmare with phone calls and people stopping by complaining about certain people cutting the best trees or cutting too much, or whatever they can complain about. It seems that each of them have told their brothers or sisters or children or even grandchildren that I gave them all the wood they could cut.
I gave the wood away because people need it. I don't care who cuts which trees, I just want the trees cut. I finally started telling them that "I don't blame you. I would just stop cutting and that will show those other guys"
The funny thing is everyone of these people are related to each other. They are all cousins of the actor Don Johnson. There were 18 of these brothers and sisters and their father was a brother to Don's grandfather. So, it is a family fight that I want nothing to do with, but seems I am in the middle of the hornet's nest for trying to help.
Anyone else have some attempted good deeds cause headaches?

Sounds like your intentions were good, but most of the times these situations can backfire on usually do-when anything is "free" it usually ends up not so good

I think the kindest acts are the ones which are the most unexpected. We were buying a dump trailer from this man, lives about 10 miles from us, real nice guy. Every week i would stop by, if he was there i would pay him the weekly payment we agreed on, chat with him, have a pop, if he wasn't i just put the money in a container-he said to. We did this for about 9 months-I had 3 more payments to go, stopped in there, and he came out said ya know, you kept your word, you paid every week, so he said I am going to make this the last payment, no need to pay the last 3. I was speechless-thanked him. To this day he calls every now and then when he has some extra wood or timbers, something he can't use that we may like-I will always remember that.

Latest posts