No Fit Shows

Help Support CattleToday:

FarmGirl10

Reaction score
How common are no fit shows?

I just got back from the Kansas Junior Livestock Show and it was a no fit show and the girl I went with freaked out when she realized that none of the steers were fitted. :lol: I know she wasn't showing, but maybe she should have looked at the rules before working...

FarmGirl10":2lzk9c9m said:

I just got back from the Kansas Junior Livestock Show and it was a no fit show and the girl I went with freaked out when she realized that none of the steers were fitted. :lol: I know she wasn't showing, but maybe she should have looked at the rules before working...

On a big show like that, not common. You see it alot more in smaller shows.

FarmGirl10":1ltwnhof said:

I love them - in my opinion they are the best shows

Not common but the playing field is very level

Anyone can complete - money in competitors wallet makes no difference here

Some real nice born on grass and straight into the pen animals do well here

Regards

Bez+

FarmGirl10":21q53fq7 said:

I think it is a GREAT idea.....

I agree.. I think it's a great idea as well! Amazing the difference in the animals when you can see them "unfit".

A friend of mine that's been an order buyer forever had a great idea a few years back. He suggested for steer shows, they get a group of 1/2 Holstein steer calves, and let the kids use them for the shows! Talk about leveling the playing field! And you wouldn't have kids / parents spending thousands of dollars for a stupid steer either. JMO of course..

Bez+":2dcn271s said:
FarmGirl10":2dcn271s said:

Regards

Bez+

Especially when you add in a carcass competition. The high dollar calves with all the hair don't do so well when it comes to carcass qualities.

Jovid":226kh4c2 said:
Bez+":226kh4c2 said:
FarmGirl10":226kh4c2 said:

Regards

Bez+

Especially when you add in a carcass competition. The high dollar calves with all the hair don't do so well when it comes to carcass qualities.

But losing the carcass comp. doesn't take the 150k away from the grand champion.

Regards

Bez+[/quote]

Especially when you add in a carcass competition. The high dollar calves with all the hair don't do so well when it comes to carcass qualities.[/quote]

But losing the carcass comp. doesn't take the 150k away from the grand champion.[/quote]

:?: :?: Not sure I understand your response

The carcass competition is just another part of the show. You can't win a show by winning the carcass comp.

Oh our carcass show runs as 2 separate classes. On the hoof and on the hook. Take my little heifer who won champion lightweight, if she doesn't win on the hook, she's still champion lightweight on the hoof. And they auction the animals before they are killed so obviously how much the animal goes for depends on it's hoof performance.

My opinion is to the contrary...How many car shows have you gone to, were the cars were not polished, buffed and detailed? How many sporting, music, racing events have you seen that the participants show up only 1/2 prepared. Why? Because it is a SHOWING! Not just a participation event for those involved. We choose to be involved in "SHOW CALVES". I believe a kid should learn the industry from every angle. I don't mind a dry show (no fit show), but I feel those who have the competitive nature will rinse & blow out their calves daily, train the hair and it will still look better than 90% of those calves in which their has been no attention. Why? Because so many people want to complain, but when it comes down to it they really don't want to go that extra mile. I am not justifying or condoning high dollar show calves; by the way a high dollar calve does not normally come groomed and stay flawless until shows. The purchaser has to work the hair daily. I personally don't buy the high dollar calves, but I am not gonna pout about those who do. I will work with what I have to work with and I will loose more than I will win, but they will know I was in the ring. C'mon people, give credit were credit is do. Shouldn't the one who works the hardest win?

splinter ridge farm":3ft8i8vz said:
My opinion is to the contrary...How many car shows have you gone to, were the cars were not polished, buffed and detailed? How many sporting, music, racing events have you seen that the participants show up only 1/2 prepared. Why? Because it is a SHOWING! Not just a participation event for those involved. We choose to be involved in "SHOW CALVES". I believe a kid should learn the industry from every angle. I don't mind a dry show (no fit show), but I feel those who have the competitive nature will rinse & blow out their calves daily, train the hair and it will still look better than 90% of those calves in which their has been no attention. Why? Because so many people want to complain, but when it comes down to it they really don't want to go that extra mile. I am not justifying or condoning high dollar show calves; by the way a high dollar calve does not normally come groomed and stay flawless until shows. The purchaser has to work the hair daily. I personally don't buy the high dollar calves, but I am not gonna pout about those who do. I will work with what I have to work with and I will loose more than I will win, but they will know I was in the ring. C'mon people, give credit were credit is do. Shouldn't the one who works the hardest win?
No, the one with the best steer/heifer/ect. should win. Which is not always the same person...

But the people who put the most time into them will win 9 times outta 10 because the judge can tell. I can follow no fit guide lines and still have a calf that will look fitted.

Cowboy 2.0":1ebvrdu0 said:
But the people who put the most time into them will win 9 times outta 10 because the judge can tell. I can follow no fit guide lines and still have a calf that will look fitted.
There were some there like that. And a lot of unruly animals. :shock:

FarmGirl10":19wq601f said:
Cowboy 2.0":19wq601f said:

Yep, kids don't put the work into their animals like they used to.

Cowboy 2.0":9kkry2n0 said:
FarmGirl10":9kkry2n0 said:
Cowboy 2.0":9kkry2n0 said:

Yep, kids don't put the work into their animals like they used to.
I understand that some of the animals were just being lazy because it got so hot and they were hairy and black. I don't want to know how many animals I had to keep moving. But the first class of Maine heifers was scary, a little girls heifer got in the arena a bolted and then they all went crazy. Then I don't remember if it was during the heifer or steer show, but one animal decided to mount another. :lol:

Cowboy 2.0":myf18p4a said:
But losing the carcass comp. doesn't take the 150k away from the grand champion.

Actually the maximum payment that an exhibitor can receive at the Houston Livestock Show is $85,000 and it is a slick sheered show.

I think that the HLSR has the highest auction prices, but I may be wrong.

There are more and more blow and go shows. The animals still have to have their hair worked daily and clipped so that they look good.

chippie":3mtzzg3m said:
Cowboy 2.0":3mtzzg3m said:

Actually the maximum payment that an exhibitor can receive at the Houston Livestock Show is $85,000 and it is a slick sheered show.

There are more and more blow and go shows. The animals still have to have their hair worked daily and clipped so that they look good.

I was just using a random number as an example. Blow and shows are a joke.

Cowboy 2.0":32pt5me4 said:
chippie":32pt5me4 said:
Cowboy 2.0":32pt5me4 said:

I was just using a random number as an example. Blow and shows are a joke.
I agree, the hairy calves still win, because like you said earlier, they can still look fitted.

Latest posts