No Ears

Help Support CattleToday:

Brute 23 said:
Probably some of those lazy pets people let free range. No reason for a hog that size to be missing ears from even a half butt hog dog.

I was thinking they caught her with a big litter and cut her ears off, so hog dogs couldn't catch her again.
It's been done before.

Caustic Burno said:
Brute 23 said:
Probably some of those lazy pets people let free range. No reason for a hog that size to be missing ears from even a half butt hog dog.

I was thinking they caught her with a big litter and cut her ears off, so hog dogs couldn't catch her again.
It's been done before.

I have never heard of that. Pigs with out ears are dog killers because the catch dogs have no where to grab. That would be stupid for a hog hunter to do.

Certain dogs jerk alot when caught and rip off ears before the guys can get there. Its usually considered a bad trait in a catch dog. Some really big bad boars will shuck the bull dogs and rip there ears off in the process. Especially if they can drag them against trees or brush.

I have seen non dog hunters purposely cut ears and nuts off boars trying to get back at dog hunters in the area. The dogs dont stand much of a chance. These bow and rifle guys that pay for leases dont like the dog guys killing out "their" hogs so they will cut the ears off in Hope's that they wont be caught.

Brute 23 said:
Caustic Burno said:
Brute 23 said:

It's been done before.

I have never heard of that. Pigs with out ears are dog killers because the catch dogs have no where to grab. That would be stupid for a hog hunter to do.

Certain dogs jerk alot when caught and rip off ears before the guys can get there. Its usually considered a bad trait in a catch dog. Some really big bad boars will shuck the bull dogs and rip there ears off in the process. Especially if they can drag them against trees or brush.

I have seen non dog hunters purposely cut ears and nuts off boars trying to get back at dog hunters in the area. The dogs dont stand much of a chance. These bow and rifle guys that pay for leases dont like the dog guys killing out "their" hogs so they will cut the ears off in Hope's that they wont be caught.

Do you get knife guys there. There is a group here who hunt with knife only. They are fit buggers, chase them til they tire and then flip them and stick them. On horse back is one thing but on foot must be hard work and bloody scary if it turns. The adrenalin hit must be massive. I think most of them have adhd!

Redgully said:
Brute 23 said:
Caustic Burno said:
It's been done before.

Do you get knife guys there. There is a group here who hunt with knife only. They are fit buggers, chase them til they tire and then flip them and stick them. On horse back is one thing but on foot must be hard work and bloody scary if it turns. The adrenalin hit must be massive. I think most of them have adhd!

I'm chicken I guess cause I use a 22LR.

Caustic Burno said:
Redgully said:
Brute 23 said:

I'm chicken I guess cause I use a 22LR.

Haha, you and me!

I've been running hogs with dogs since I was like 12 or 13 years old. In high school we ran 8 or 9 times a week during grain season. We use the buggies to cut as much foot work down and possible and it's always good to have some young help.

My son stuck this one at the beginning of the year. It was about 150yds from the buggy bayed up. I got it euroed for him. That's my 5" eye brand holding his mouth open.

Redgully said:
I certainly ain't questioning you Redgully, but I don't reckon I've ever seen a man in Georgia that could run a wild hog (on foot) till he tired! It would be impossible here due to our terrain. Unless your on a road, there's nowhere here that you could run wide open for more than 5 minutes before you ran out of cooperating real estate. But I'd sure love to see that!

As for them turning on you, that could get hairy quick. Nice when they have a bulldog for an ear ring. Makes it easier. When I used to run them with dogs, it seemed like the 150 pound boars were the worst. Usually had teeth about 1 1/2" and were super fast. Sometimes the old big boats and barrows were pretty rough on them too. I really don't know how none of us got maimed up over the years.

Worst situation I ever got in with them ole Rube was killing pigs about three pounds apiece. We had went squirrel hunting and she found that litter of pigs, sow was trying to kill her and me.
I put five loads of 16 gauge #6 shot on her before she decided it was too hot to stay. I never saw buzzards, I don't think she died from the encounter.
After that day I always carried a couple loads of buckshot in my back pocket.

JMJ Farms said:
Redgully said:
I certainly ain't questioning you Redgully, but I don't reckon I've ever seen a man in Georgia that could run a wild hog (on foot) till he tired! It would be impossible here due to our terrain. Unless your on a road, there's nowhere here that you could run wide open for more than 5 minutes before you ran out of cooperating real estate. But I'd sure love to see that!

As for them turning on you, that could get hairy quick. Nice when they have a bulldog for an ear ring. Makes it easier. When I used to run them with dogs, it seemed like the 150 pound boars were the worst. Usually had teeth about 1 1/2" and were super fast. Sometimes the old big boats and barrows were pretty rough on them too. I really don't know how none of us got maimed up over the years.

We have bush here that is quite easy to get through. There is thick woods but these guys head out to the wandoo tree areas. Most guys use dogs but these knife guys are in a world of their own. We were in the middle of no where one day and we came across this guy, fit and athletic as you will ever see but a few sheep short in the top paddock. He had just knifed a pig and was freaking out we were going to pinch it. His car was about 16km down the road he reckons. The pig wasnt big but big enough. We left him to it.

Just saw this post. This was a BIG sow tearing up my place I finally got a shot at in 2018. Same deal she had one ear completely gone. Looked like it had been gone a long long time.

Attachments

• IMG_5579.JPG
    IMG_5579.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 9