No drill till

Help Support CattleToday:

HatCreekFan":qogkol5x said:
I listened patiently while he explained the benefits of having his own and how he hated to borrow other people's stuff...even from the Cons. Office. Then, I smiled and nodded.

That;s exactly what my wife did when I told her I was going to the sale tuesday that had a drill and a sprayer.

dun

HatCreekFan":21uuojfp said:
I didn't ask how much he paid for the drill.

flaboy - isn't it aggravating when stuff at auctions goes haywire? Great for the owner, rough on the consumer.

Yes it is. They had a small aluminum stock trailer that sold for $8900. I am not an aluminum trailer expert but I overheard a couple folks say "I can buy a new Featherlite that size for $8900". I think folks get carried away in the heat of the moment. I was bidding on a couple hay forks but when the price started approaching new price, I walked away. Homemade mineral feeders. Pretty nice but, pressure treated with tin roof. $200 each. 5 foot light duty bush hog, $600+. Oh well.

I went to a sale last week. What I cant understand is why do people pay more for something than it costs new? I saw rolls of new Barb Wire, that had been sitting on the ground for who knows how long, sell for 35.00 (15and1/2 ga.) Field fence, 39" half rusted out rolls bring 75.00 a roll,A 256 NH Rake go for 975.00 that had spent its life in the weather, and needed plenty of work, I could go on and on. It was an all day sale.Someone turned a Coal Mine into a Gold Mine.

I think a lot of these folks don;t really have any idea what stuff costs new. If there's something I'm interested I check around before the sale and see what they're going for new, then unless it's absolutely brand new I won;t pay more then 65% of the new cost.
The sad part is that it takes 2 idiots to run a price up that high.

dun

dun":20b5rdo9 said:
I think a lot of these folks don;t really have any idea what stuff costs new. If there's something I'm interested I check around before the sale and see what they're going for new, then unless it's absolutely brand new I won;t pay more then 65% of the new cost.
The sad part is that it takes 2 idiots to run a price up that high.

dun
I agree Dun. I think a lot of time that one person does'nt want the other to win the bid too.How can you pay retail for used stuff? Guess I way over respect people's mentality.

I guess some (atleast the two that run the bids up)people have the belief that if it's used, it's cheaper. Same premise at the Dollar Store. Go in there to buy some things, and they're higher than Wal-Mart. And people go to the Dollar store expecting a deal...

He used his new drill Saturday and Sunday. He loves it. I smiled and nodded, again, and made a personal bet as to when he'll ask me to use it to go over a few acres 'cause he's busy doing something else :)

HatCreekFan, I think we are almost in competition on who is going to get to drive the tractor here. You would think after all the years put on one, everyone would fight to have to get on it.
Nice lookin' drill I might add. The equipment is so nice and shiny when it's new. I guess I am like your husband on borrowing things. I hate to ask, and remember asking once to borrow a horse trailer. When I did, it had a flat tire and I had to put another one on it. I think it must be a curse or omen when you borrow things.
I am always afraid that the owner of the equipment is actually not wanting you to borrow it.
I try to stick to my saying,"If I don't have it, then I don't need it."

Chuckie,

You are right about borrowing stuff. It is inevitable that something will go wrong. We always fix whatever goes wrong... we think it's our responsibility.

Funny how it doesn't always work that way when a neighbor borrows something from us. We had a neighbor run a steel fence post and high tensile wire through our NH discbine. I can tell you that I learned how to take it apart down to the gears on the cutter bar..... the neighbor still holds to his story of a cedar sapling. Grrrrrr.

Latest posts