No clipping

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
We are extremely dry and usually I would clip a pasture looking like this or cut for hay but due to the shortage in the rain department I will be turning them out onto this. Hopefully since I don't have a lot of cattle anymore this can hold them through for a while.

ResizedImage_1432128429939_zps17254db9.jpg

Strip graze. Even if you can't backfence. Put all that grass to work instead of what the cows like best.

shaz":2yjh04xy said:
Strip graze. Even if you can't backfence. Put all that grass to work instead of what the cows like best.

Good point, cows will stamp most of it down, ignore the seed heads, and grub all the understory to the ground. That is not how to "build" a pasture up. Then weeds will come in and so will the sprayers and plows. Everyone has them get away on us, but you gotta take what has been served and manage it. I would still clip behind the cows and you should get some growth regardless of rain. That is what why organic matter is so valuable.

shaz":365llbek said:

If it stays dry and very little rain oh they will eat it all before I drop a bale of hay. :lol:

so i have a similar situation and turned some 650 lb heifers in last week into a maxQ fescue/ red clover field. I noticed some ate red clover mostly, but some seem to spend all their time eating fescue seed heads. I decided to clip as i didn't know what would happen if they ate too many seed heads. They need a higher protein diet.

skyhightree1":2ho74aba said:
shaz":2ho74aba said:

If it stays dry and very little rain oh they will eat it all before I drop a bale of hay. :lol:
The cows can to the work cheaper than you can

The back side needs to be sprayed but all im going to do is spot spray since its got a good bit of clover in it. I put 2 pair bred cow and a heifer that I want to AI this winter over there. I am hoping this will keep them till winter.

ResizedImage_1432419432879_zpsdd04fb91.jpg

I'm strip grazing my Tiff -9 hay field right now. Giving the cows about an acre a day. If it hasn't rained by the time their done with it, I'm going to start culling. I'm not waiting like I did 4 years ago.
Three +weeks without any rain, and temperatures in the 90's will dry things up in a hurry.

highgrit":3m9wo7rc said:
I'm strip grazing my Tiff -9 hay field right now. Giving the cows about an acre a day. If it hasn't rained by the time their done with it, I'm going to start culling. I'm not waiting like I did 4 years ago.
Three +weeks without any rain, and temperatures in the 90's will dry things up in a hurry.

Yes sir that all day rain we had didn't do jack .... so hoping they can eat this while its still green. Its gonna be a dry year it seems so trying to give a fair amount per head. I am planning on buying calves in a few weeks but if things haven't changed im not.

highgrit":3v7v5m98 said:
I've got plenty of pearl millet planted to graze, but it won't hardly grow being so dry.

I knew when I was feeding hay in the winter pasture till the beginning of may it was going to be a bad year coming. Is any rain in sight for you ?

Not that I can see. What little rain there's has been, is going around us.
Oh well, if it was easy everyone would be doing it.

Here in SC KY it's just like there. Just got off the phone with a friend in OK. They live in Eastern OK just across state line off I 40. Tonight I 40 was closed under water west of town. And it was still raining.

highgrit":2uuwo9e1 said:
Same boat. I started clipping a field today. By the time I would get the cows on it the seed would be shattering and I hate the seeds in the eye deal. Our rain has been in the 1 tenth range every other day. Too much and not enough.

VA doesn;t show up as being a problem on the drought monitor. We're still just in the abnormally dry range. The problem with the drought monitor is that it doesn;t show the timeliness of the precip. We're behind for the year, but id we had gotten a lot of rain a couple of months ago it wouldn;t show us as a problem area either. We ended last year below normal too so it's a carry over thing

dun":1w8q5ipp said:
highgrit":1w8q5ipp said:
Same boat. I started clipping a field today. By the time I would get the cows on it the seed would be shattering and I hate the seeds in the eye deal. Our rain has been in the 1 tenth range every other day. Too much and not enough.
dun":1w8q5ipp said:
VA doesn;t show up as being a problem on the drought monitor. We're still just in the abnormally dry range. The problem with the drought monitor is that it doesn;t show the timeliness of the precip. We're behind for the year, but id we had gotten a lot of rain a couple of months ago it wouldn;t show us as a problem area either. We ended last year below normal too so it's a carry over thing
skyhightree1":1w8q5ipp said:
highgrit":1w8q5ipp said:

Yes sir that all day rain we had didn't do jack .... so hoping they can eat this while its still green. Its gonna be a dry year it seems so trying to give a fair amount per head. I am planning on buying calves in a few weeks but if things haven't changed im not.

Hmm......something about this seems very familiar.