No Beef, No Hunting

Help Support CattleToday:

rgv4

Reaction score
REad an article last week about the Alberta Fish and Game Association posting signs saying "No American Hunters Allowed Due to BSE" and
"No Beef, No Hunting"

They think the American hunters have the political clout to get the border open.

Think maybe they are shooting theirselves in the foot?

Well, there are pros and cons to this - but ....

There are three big shot lawyers from New York that used to hunt here - no more. By the way, they hunted here for free - all I usually got out of it was a nice meal for wife and myself - it is illegal for me to charge for hunting fees.

As well, a couple of movie industry folk hunted a ranch about 30 miles from here on a regular basis. These folks have clout.

In the end, it does bring the topic to the attention of those in our neighbouring country that know absolutely nothing about - and have never even heard of this topic.

Any cattle guys down there want to come up for a hunt - well, they would probably be welcome - they know the story and they have had to make it through their own tough times.

You make up your own mind - I know I have.

Regards

Bez

Bez":hwaylqo6 said:
There are three big shot lawyers from New York that used to hunt here - no more. By the way, they hunted here for free - all I usually got out of it was a nice meal for wife and myself - it is illegal for me to charge for hunting fees.

Typical rich people. Act poorer than dirt, but yet they all come in all brand new everything. Spend about a grand plus on booze to boot. We always say the richer they are the tighter they are. The regular working guy gives a tip and the rich guys want the cabin cheaper.

Is it illegal you mean for no hunting fees for guiding or for any type of property access? It's illegal for us to guide and ask for money, but it is ok if they would offer money to us....haha yeah like they will do that. So we just give pointers where to go and let them do their thing (but not on private property). Which is comical. They don't want to take their pickup off the county road nor do they want to heaven forbid walk.

Bez":6s5dxtd3 said:
Well, there are pros and cons to this - but ....

As well, a couple of movie industry folk hunted a ranch about 30 miles from here on a regular basis. These folks have clout.

I know a lot of nobody's from Texas, Ark., OK., and LA. that pay alot of money going bear and deer hunting in Canada. So somebody up there is getting the money. Not counting the extra money that they are spending while they are up there.

As I said, there are pros and cons to this issue.

Cattle_Gal - I cannot charge someone for access to my land. The only right I have in this regard is to allow / not allow someone access to the land. That's it - that's all.

I enjoyed their company, and I enjoyed the dinner.

rgv4

I know a lot of nobody's from Texas, Ark., OK., and LA. that pay alot of money going bear and deer hunting in Canada. So somebody up there is getting the money. Not counting the extra money that they are spending while they are up there.

While I understand the problem, what is the solution?

Bez

Ones more this "solution" has people that aren't directly involved with the problems paying the price. Guides and outfitters are the ones I seeing suffering the most from it.

dun

As much as I'm not much into 'tit for tat' type of fighting, I don't believe that the general US public is against the Canadian cattleman. I think the problem is more that they are uninformed or if they do know, are apathetic. This might raise some awareness with the general public but I guess I always try to take the long view and I wonder what consequences there will be for us in the long run.

Latest posts