No back up or Alley stop

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno":8pnwtaoe said:
Tbrake":8pnwtaoe said:
dun":8pnwtaoe said:
I hate them. When we used them I was always banging my head on them if I had to get in the alley for anything. Now I just use the pipe method.

Glad I'm not the only one. Broke my Oakley sunglasses in half I was wearing on top of my head.

Your not supposed to be in the chute the cattle are.
DAM, that's what I'm doing wrong. I suppose I'm not supposed to stick my head through the head gate and have them catch me either!

dun":3gjci8g6 said:
Caustic Burno":3gjci8g6 said:
Tbrake":3gjci8g6 said:
Glad I'm not the only one. Broke my Oakley sunglasses in half I was wearing on top of my head.

Your not supposed to be in the chute the cattle are.
DAM, that's what I'm doing wrong. I suppose I'm not supposed to stick my head through the head gate and have them catch me either!

The cows catch you???? Or is that how the wife restrains you?

Ken

Dave said:
I have the side stopper. I have it set up where the cow is partially into the chute. It works well when I am working by myself. I can also flip it around so it isn't working depending on what I am doing and if I have help. I have worked in pens with the overhead ones. They work well but you have to adjust them to the size of cattle you are working. Too high and they won't hold smaller ones. Too low and taller ones don't want to go under it.
If you use the pipe method always stand facing the same way as the cow with the pipe in front of you. If a cow backs up suddenly before you get it secure it will just take the pipe away from you. I know of two people who were on the wrong side of the pipe. Cow backed up pulling the pipe into their leg, breaking their leg. A broken leg isn't as much fun as you might think

Dave,
What brand is your alley stop?

Thanks,
Farmgirl

Dave said:
I have the side stopper. I have it set up where the cow is partially into the chute. It works well when I am working by myself. I can also flip it around so it isn't working depending on what I am doing and if I have help. I have worked in pens with the overhead ones. They work well but you have to adjust them to the size of cattle you are working. Too high and they won't hold smaller ones. Too low and taller ones don't want to go under it.
If you use the pipe method always stand facing the same way as the cow with the pipe in front of you. If a cow backs up suddenly before you get it secure it will just take the pipe away from you. I know of two people who were on the wrong side of the pipe. Cow backed up pulling the pipe into their leg, breaking their leg. A broken leg isn't as much fun as you might think
Dave that is some good advice there. never thought about it, but can see how it could happen.

only thing we have had close to a problem with using a pipe so far is that when there is a person on both sides of the alley and both go to put a pipe in to hold a cow. we have slots in solid metal sides of the alley to put the pipe in (upper and lower for cows or calves) and one day looking in the slot to see where to put the pipe, a pipe was coming from the other side toward my eye.

I have worked in pens with the overhead ones. They work well but you have to adjust them to the size of cattle you are working. Too high and they won't hold smaller ones. Too low and taller ones don't want to go under it.
I have one of those..Preifert "No Back" they call it.
It works but as you say, it's a pain in the rear if working mixed size cattle.

Ebenezer said:
The overhead one way swing "flaps" are head knockers as some mentioned. Are the side flap types mentioned any better or have other disadvantages?

We had the "side flap" style in a alley calves would get there ribs past, and the animal ahead of them would back up. Forcing the second calf to be hooked by the ribs.
I took it out and use bars that can be pulled out when things don't go quite as planned.

SBMF 2015 said:
Ebenezer said:
The overhead one way swing "flaps" are head knockers as some mentioned. Are the side flap types mentioned any better or have other disadvantages?

We had the "side flap" style in a alley calves would get there ribs past, and the animal ahead of them would back up. Forcing the second calf to be hooked by the ribs.
I took it out and use bars that can be pulled out when things don't go quite as planned.
Thanks

Bought the side flap style that filson makes. Works good but also have a chain on it to pull it out of the way at times. Alley stop is great for working solo. See it as a safety and convenience tool for the handler.

Dave said:

I am not sure if you mean inside the race, or pipe got them on outside.

But seems too many people are getting into an area where only the stock should be, even with real friendly animals, I would be keeping out of any confined space with them if possible, dont even stick arms through panels in a race if you can help it, lot of people get hurt doing things like that....

Tbrake said:
dun said:
I hate them. When we used them I was always banging my head on them if I had to get in the alley for anything. Now I just use the pipe method.

Your prob too old for old trendy sunglasses anyways :)

Glasses and gloves are consumables, I buy them with the view they wont be around long, I get the cheapest gloves, cause the cheap ones seem to be able to handle a month of use if lucky. Glasses prob 2 or 3 months, before they need to go or get broken...

greggy said:
Dave said:

I am not sure if you mean inside the race, or pipe got them on outside.

But seems too many people are getting into an area where only the stock should be, even with real friendly animals, I would be keeping out of any confined space with them if possible, dont even stick arms through panels in a race if you can help it, lot of people get hurt doing things like that....

Standing outside pushing the pipe across behind the cow. Cow backs up before the pipe is all the way across and secure it is going to slam against the side of the alley. If the cow is moving fast it is going to slam real hard. My side flap back stop is a Powder River.

Yeah, ok, I picture that, if it was just being inserted when cattle suddenly moved back, if your facing the wrong way, it is going to be like being batted with a pipe.....

I thought slide gates would be the most popular, I have 1, only time would be using a bar is to stop kicking if someone doing AI or other at rear, but same would apply.

I use the post. But only when vaccinating calves in the alley way. For preg testing and such there is no need to have a stop in the alley. We just let it get nearly empty then put a few more in. They tend to just walk in and stay there. But there is a difference in alley designs too, always seemed to me if you need alley stops to work cows into a squeeze then the alley needs changed. Just my 2 cents.

Silver, what's your suggestion as to proper alley design? You like 'em straight or curved, open or closed sides... etc........?

Silver, what's your suggestion as to proper alley design? You like 'em straight or curved, open or closed sides... etc........?
I like a curve. I also always preferred solid, but my neighbour uses a curved Arrowquip alley and it works really well. Mind you, he has covered the outside of the curve with conveyor belting so the cows can't see out that side. It flows really well.
I think the way they are worked is even more important that what they are worked in.

Latest posts