NK 37 or giant bermudagrass

Help Support CattleToday:

Ive tried almost every variety of bermuda there is this is a new one on me. But a word of caution steer clear of the World Feeder Bermuda, this is a hoax. My pasture of common out performs it. :shock: Its the worst grass I have.

Yes , I have heard about the World Feeder hoax this far east. Everybody here is planting Cheyenne bermudagrass, but a patch of common that I planted last year out performed a patch of Cheyenne that I saw.

Is it one of those Oklahoma types like Guymon, Wrangler, World Feeder, etc.?

Copenhagen & Shiner Bock":18eucksf said:
Is it one of those Oklahoma types like Guymon, Wrangler, World Feeder, etc.?

I don't know. An extension agent in northwest MO told me about it. He said they have some in a plot and they don't know how to manage it so he tried to disc it up. Of course it liked that. He said it is cold tolerant.
I was wondering if anyone had any information or experience with it.

Shiner Bock ---- mighty good beer and a great little town. I assume you are in Texas, and if so you might want to pose that question over on the A & M forage message board (unless you are also known as Tony C. and live south of San Antonio, in which case I think you have already done so back in 2003)

If you search google for "NK37 bermudagrass" you'll get quite a few hits. May also want to visit bermudagrass.com

Here's a little item I pulled off the Alabama Cooperative extension site:

"Giant (NK37) is a seed-propagated bermuda-grass selection that has been marketed since the 1960s. It was selected in the arid southwestern United States where it is well adapted. The selection is susceptible to the fungal leaf spot disease Helminthosporium. In the southeastern U.S., Giant has typically been productive for a short time after establishment and then has declined rapidly in yield. Pasto Rico, Terra Verde, Campo Verde, and Ranchero are commercial blends of common and Giant bermuda grass. They may be blends of hulled and unhulled seed. First-year yields are likely to be higher than the hybrids because hybrids are slower to establish. However, the yields typically decrease be-ginning the second year and will likely be similar to common bermuda grass by the third year. The de-creased yield is due to the loss of the Giant component to cold injury and/or leaf spot disease over time. The plantings will eventually convert to what might be simply termed a common bermuda grass stand". http://www.aces.edu

Arnold, I am not from Texas and I have never been there :) , but learned about Shiner Bock and developed a taste for it after listening to Robert Earl Keen. I live in the Midlands of South Carolina and I geuss that our climate is about the same as East Texas. BTW, my common patch looks better than my neighbors Coastal feild and another fellas Cheyenne patch at the moment. Texas Tough is $250 a 50 pound bag and Cheyenne is over $300 for the same size bag, but common is just over a 100 for a 50 pound sack. The biggest problem in our area is keeping Bahia and Centipede out of our Bermuda feilds.

Latest posts