Nitrogen Fertilizer Sources

Help Support CattleToday:

cowgirl_jenna

Reaction score
Fert. price ? got me curious what everyone uses for N sources on their grass hay/pastures.? Also, do many of you use nitrogen stabilizers? We use agrotain usually if we apply later in the season.
We like to put down some liquid n in the spring on our grass hay and pastures. We use the liquid because we have a sprayer set up to do it, most years the price of 28 vs urea isnt too far a part once we figure in app costs, but may be different this spring.?. If it is, we will prob just spin some urea on, well see.
Jenna

About the only N I put on my pasture or hay fields is Dap 18-48-0, but I used some Urea with agrotain this year on corn, but not much help on how it did since everything burned up.

I use urea at this time of year when the weather is cooler and I don't have to worry about heat. Later in the year I use Nitrate.

cowgirl_jenna":10d030p4 said:
Fert. price ? got me curious what everyone uses for N sources on their grass hay/pastures.? Also, do many of you use nitrogen stabilizers? We use agrotain usually if we apply later in the season.
We like to put down some liquid n in the spring on our grass hay and pastures. We use the liquid because we have a sprayer set up to do it, most years the price of 28 vs urea isnt too far a part once we figure in app costs, but may be different this spring.?. If it is, we will prob just spin some urea on, well see.
Jenna

I actually pay an expert to come out and sample the soil and mix what we need and spread it. It has paid huge dividends over the years. A couple of times now he has actually applied quite a bit less than I expected him to. I have no idea what pricing will be like this year - I am sure it will not be going down though.

Best to all

Bez

Typically use urea with a stabilizer on the hayfields. From what I can tell the stabilizer is worth the money.

I've been using chicken litter the last few years with good results. I just adjust to my soil test with commercial fertilizers when needed. I usually put down 3 tons to the acre on hay ground and 2 on pastures. It does cause me to have to spray weeds at times though. Ammonia nitrate gets harder to get and I have started using urea. I try to put it down right before a rain but it doesn't always work out. For those using nitrogen stabilizers, does you supplier mix it for you?

For those using nitrogen stabilizers, does you supplier mix it for you?
yes, is blended with the urea or added to the 28 liquid, turns the urea a nice shade of green.
I forgot to add, we also use some ammonium sulfate with our dry fert mix too, usually later in the summer, the added sulfur seems to help too.
Jenna

I just finished spreading #2500 of 46 urea on my pastures, at a rate of 100 lbs/ac. Fert prices here was 624 for a ton of urea.

I have recently been doing a lot of research on fertilizers the pros and cons of each type. Most of the stuff I have read highly suggests ammonia nitrate over urea. Urea is more volatile and is harder in your soil. If you are just focused on this years growth and price return then urea would probably the choice but if you are going for long term soil management go with ammonia nitrate.

I have recently been doing a lot of research on fertilizers the pros and cons of each type. Most of the stuff I have read highly suggests ammonia nitrate over urea. Urea is more volatile and is harder in your soil. If you are just focused on this years growth and price return then urea would probably the choice but if you are going for long term soil management go with ammonia nitrate.

I'll agree, it seems ammonia nitrate is a good choice and it sure did a good job on our corn years ago. However, its pretty much un-available anymore, here anyway. I believe this is because of its potential "explosive building properties". http://www.dhs.gov/ammonium-nitrate-security-program

An alternative is 28/32% UAN, which is urea-ammonium-nitrate. Basically part urea and part ammonia nitrate. We use quite a bit of this (28%) on corn,grass hay, and pasture. I am curious how available ammonium nitrate is in other parts of the country. I know European countries are limiting its use some too. It is too bad, as it is one of the Cadillac forms of N as you stated.
Jenna

Both urea and ammoniam nitrate are great N fertilizers, both have there advantages. I prefer urea in the spring bc it is fairly stable with cool temps and adequte mosture. The big advantage i see in urea is the pounds of N per bag compared to ammonium nitrate witch is 34% per bag compared to ureas 46% per bag of N. which breaks down to roughly 17# of N in a bag of Ammonium nitrate, an 24# of N in a bag of urea. Which would be 680# of N per ton of ammonium nitrate and 980# of N for urea per ton. The big concern with both is the volitilty of the feetilizer. Ammonium nitrate is better in the fall bc it is not as volitile in heat as is urea. But urea is very stable in cool weather, with soil moisture long as is is rained on with a few days of spreading. A good rule of thumb is the ammonium nitrate needs rain before u spread and urea needs rain after u spread.

I have been using fish emolusions as fertilizer and it works great. But it has a big particulate size so you have to use big commercial tips. the product I'm using is Aggrand 4-3-3 and you put it on at about 2 gal/acre and it costs about $20/gal plus application. It does have an odor to it. You can order it in quarts up to 275 gal totes. It is also all natural and won't harm animals, kids, ect. I also have other products that will help also. Let me know what you need

hawkeye78":3pn6zmlm said:
I have been using fish emolusions as fertilizer and it works great. But it has a big particulate size so you have to use big commercial tips. the product I'm using is Aggrand 4-3-3 and you put it on at about 2 gal/acre and it costs about $20/gal plus application. It does have an odor to it. You can order it in quarts up to 275 gal totes. It is also all natural and won't harm animals, kids, ect. I also have other products that will help also. Let me know what you need

That's odd.
hawkeye78":3pn6zmlm said:
I have never used fertilizer on my pastures the cows chould put out enough manure to maintain with the excess grass to be put back in the ground
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=82207

greybeard I don't fertilize my pastures but I fertilize my hay fields. I don't know what is odd about that the manure and the grass that is knocked down will provide organic matter to the pastures and the microbes in the soil will do the rest

I use chicken manure on hayfields. This is the wet stuff. I can get it for $250.00 for a trailer full delivered. I only need to put it on every two or three years at a rate of 3,000 lbs/ acre which is pretty light figuring how much water is in it. This manure is from laying hens so it has lime in it too.

I see a lot of worms in my fields and thats really good. I understand that anything that goes through a worm comes out with a ph of 7. A worm can live up to four years and have 1.5 million babies. If you can get up to 25 worms per sq. Ft. They will put out 100,000 lbs. Of worm castings per acre per year.
I would be happy with 10,000 lbs per acre.

Call me a hippy or a tree hugger but I don't put anything on my fields that will kill earth worms. Most people don't ever think about them and do stuff that kills thousands every year.

Do they not pile it, turn it and dry it before selling it or is this right out of the chicken house?? Most down here will windrow it, allowing it to compost and dry out some and turn it occasionally before selling it. Also allows all the dead chickens in it to dehydrate. :lol2:

I've never done a worm inventory nor mortality rate study so really dno't know if I am or not. I just know the grass looks good after the last rain.

TexasBred":qv279c7k said:
Do they not pile it, turn it and dry it before selling it or is this right out of the chicken house?? Most down here will windrow it, allowing it to compost and dry out some and turn it occasionally before selling it. Also allows all the dead chickens in it to dehydrate. :lol2:

If the stuff I get was any fresher it would have to be delivered by the chickens. You can grow grass on a rock with the stuff though. I hay a couple farms and use it on those fields. Everybody says it stinks but after you spread enough of it the hair in you nostils must burn out or something because it don't smell as bad to me as it used to.

My wife makes me undress outside still though.

I'm sure you must be getting your hen dressin' from the same place I do. My neighbors have come to appreciate it, at least when I'm done spreading :). I also mix ash and horse manure with mine just so it doesn't slop around so much.

Latest posts